TONMOCON IV - *LATEST NEWS* - 10/3/11

tonmo

Cthulhu
Staff member
Site Owner
I'll use this thread to post the latest news leading up to the event... not sure what else there may be to share, but here are a few random pieces of info...

Agenda has been finalized!! Olaf Blaaw will fill our 2:10pm slot - the title of his presentation is "Colossal Investigations", covering his experience and learnings from the Mesonychoteuthis dissection he was part of along with Dr. Steve O'Shea and Dr. Kat Bolstad at Te Papa.

There will be some items to raffle, items to auction (believe that may come Friday evening), and some items for sale as well. Yay, items!

When we add in the good folks from WAMAS, we may have as many as 80 people at the event! Hard to predict the turnout for sure, but bottom line, we'll be in good company.

There are a couple other things developing to make sure you have a pleasant stay, but I'll just save that for when we can talk in person :smile:... Bottom line, we're in for a treat, folks!

There's a change to the agenda - Adam Eli Clem could not make this one but we hope he'll be back for TONMOCON V!

Our 1:30pm slot will now feature Tamie DeWitt's presentation, Extreme Makeover; Cuttlefish Edition. Tamie is a biologist at the National Zoo, and her presentation will cover "enrichment activity [at the National Zoo] with the goals of reducing stress induced jet-slamming, extending the social housing of cuttles, to increase the opportunity for exhibiting species-typical behaviors and to enhance our visitor’s experience by encouraging cuttles to exhibit more active behaviors and diverse body patterns." This presentation was published in the ABMA (The Animal Behavior Management Alliance) last year, and Tamie will review it with us on Saturday!

ALSO (see post above if you're just catching up on the latest news...) another piece of news: the National Aquarium in Washington, D.C. is offering FREE PASSES to their aquarium on Sunday! Please note:

"Conference attendees will get free admission to the National Aquarium, DC on Sunday October 9th by presenting their conference ID badge. We are open until 5:00 that evening and are located on 14th Street between Constitution and Pennsylvania Ave., roughly one block from the Washington Monument. The closest metro station is Federal Triangle on the orange and blue lines."

Conference Badges will be handed out at the door on Saturday morning, when doors open at 8:30. :smile:

Also.....(scroll back to read more)... There will be no wifi in the presentation room, but if you have a data plan with your smartphone or tablet, you can use the tapatalk app to take pics and post! See?

Sent via Tapatalk on Android

Attachments

• conv_298654.jpg
    conv_298654.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 197
See you tomorrow Dave!

ALL: FYI, for your navigational convenience, the first pic on the homepage slider links directly to the TONMOCON Forum.

I'll miss the Friday night gathering - I'll be preparing for the ethics discussion - but I will be at all the festivities tomorrow!

My mother, incidentally, has decided to come because she is catching the cephalopod fever.

I have allotted myself twenty bucks to print out all the crap I need. I will be carrying a backpack full of stuff.

Great that your mom's coming, NB! Sorry you'll miss tonight's revelry... We'll have one for you!

Also left you a PM - let me know if the backpack is for the presentation, I'm working with the facilities folks to get the room setup... also "backpack full of stuff" sounds a bit ominous :wink:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back