TONMOCON IV - 2011 - Planning Stage

Does anyone recommend one airport over the other? I have never flown into DC before and do not enjoy many of the "rules" that plague our airports (body scans). This makes me wonder if flying into MD would be better than Dulles.

Baltimore doesn't have some of the asinine rules that DCA and IAD do, if I remember correctly, although it's inaccessible by public transportation.

I don't think, however, that body scans and weird crud should really factor much into one's travel if one's intent is just to get to where you need to go. I'd go by cost - BWI is cheapest, followed by DCA and IAD, and DCA is most accessible by public transportation because it's at a Metro stop.

As for me, my class schedule this semester will involve me driving home from campus every Friday midmorning and going back Sunday evening due to a preference for commuting at least part time, so I will most definitely be able to make it.

Sabrina, why is your husband nervous? DC's pretty much safe as long as you don't go into the Southeast and don't go about places after dark alone.

SabrinaR;173505 said:
Does anyone recommend one airport over the other? I have never flown into DC before and do not enjoy many of the "rules" that plague our airports (body scans). This makes me wonder if flying into MD would be better than Dulles.

National Airport is about 20 min ($20 cab ride away). Alternatively, you can take the metro on the blue or yellow lines to metro center, then transfer to the red line to Woodley Park Station.

It is also possible to take the train (Amtrak or MARC) from BWI to Union station, then take the metro train from Union to Woodley Park/Zoo station.

http://www.wmata.com/rail/maps/map.cfm

neurobadger;173609 said:
As for me, my class schedule this semester will involve me driving home from campus every Friday midmorning and going back Sunday evening due to a preference for commuting at least part time, so I will most definitely be able to make it.

Sabrina, why is your husband nervous? DC's pretty much safe as long as you don't go into the Southeast and don't go about places after dark alone.

This part of DC is very nice (NW). The worst you are going to have to worry about is Georgetown students that have more money than I do.

This is also around the "Adam's Morgan" area of ton with great food and night life.

We opted for Reagan

Located in the prestigious Washington neighborhood of Woodley Park, the hotel is just minutes from the National Zoo and the National Cathedral and eight miles from Reagan National Airport. The Red Line Woodley Park Metro stop is across the street from the hotel.

We found somewhat discounted fares and figured the difference in airport price (+$40) would be eaten up in either cab fare or time getting lost on the metro.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back