Tonmocon II (old thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
chrono_war01 said:
Everything that's cephy is on the other side of the world. Oh how I wish I was still in Canada! At least the GPO's nearer...

I didn't know that you used to live in Canada! Where? I'm from London, Ontario, but am currently living out in Halifax, Nova Scotia for university. I'm just dying finally being so close to the ocean but not being able to do anything cephy, but at least I now have tide pools to satisfy my curiosity.

A mini TONMOCon sounds pretty good to me! I don't think I'll be exactly in the area, but depending on timing I could be persuaded to make a trip... Hey Kat, any plans for making it as far north as Niagra?

Cheers!

I'm liking the sounds of mini-Tonmocons. I am of course a huge fan of the big international bi-annual events, but if other Tonmo members are down with throwing smaller events together to suit their regions, I think it's awesome. Someday, however, I dream of a big international event we all can attend.

You know, that is a pretty good idea, Erich.
We could have US tonmocons east/west, etc...tonmocon New Zealand...

And yes, someday, a large event.

I live in FL and the "hurricane season" is a big media show. Hurricanes aren't that bad if you don't have levies to worry about(i.e. New Orleans). I was in Daytona at the Nat'l Reptile Breeder expo when a catagory 3-4 came through, if you are vacationing you really dont have any problems that they cause. You dont have to replace shingles on roofs, you dont have a car to get scratched by debris, you arent in a low lying area or mobile home, etc.
I would love Florida and help research anything you need, but would love to see the Galveston center just as much ( Cuttlefish Mecca).
A cruise could be a nice idea too. Time and places to talk, snorkeling/scuba for Octos (i've done it before and would again), inexpensive for food and lodging. On a cruise they can go around hurricanes and if you have alot of rain like in a hurricane they will give you a free cruise for TONMO CON III (www.icruise.com)
I just dont think the hurricanes should be a factor-i've lived here for 25 years and ain't scared. I would be much more scared of a earthquake than a hurricane.

how about australia??

i think australia would be good because it is a very coastal country and QLD has underwater world and seaworld

also the idea of having 1 on each continent is a good idea:spongebo: :spongebo: :squidwar: :goldfish: :whalevsa:

ps what is it like i have never been

Illithid said:
I would be much more scared of a earthquake than a hurricane.

Earthquakes are over with in about forty seconds. Either you're alive or you're dead, in which case it doesn't really matter. A hurricane can beat you down like a red-headed-stepchild for twelve hours straight, then drown you under thirty feet of storm-surge. I'll take my seismic disturbances, thank you, provided tsunamis are not included (they're the scariest of all - why if I live near the coast, I'll never build near sea level). Tornadoes and blizzards are nasty too. Give me a semi-arid sub-tropical coastal zone to live in any day. Particularly where the land rises from the sea rather vertically. Monte Carlo would be nice. So would Portofino or the Amalfi Coast.

erich orser said:
A hurricane can beat you down like a red-headed-stepchild for twelve hours straight,
Nah, they are maybe 1-5 hours. Wish they were longer though. You normally get $1 Hurricanes at the bar while the storm comes though.:cheers:

5 hours of katrina was way too much and I'm 120 miles inland. Still cleaning up fallen trees and fixing roof damage. 6 out of 10 houses still have tarps for a roof.

Illithid said:
Nah, they are maybe 1-5 hours. Wish they were longer though. You normally get $1 Hurricanes at the bar while the storm comes though.:cheers:

Wait, really? Oh Hell, let's go during hurricane season!

When we lived in Maryland, we rarely got hurricanes, but even there, where they are usually nearly spent before they arrive, there can be lots of damage. During Isabelle there were a lot homes destroyed, nearly including ours when a huge tree just missed it. Chrono, sometimes it takes a long time for insurance companies to come through with the money for repairs, especially when there are such a staggering number of claims. Last year in Florida and the gulf coast the insurance companies took a huge hit. It's possible some of the claims are not even processed yet.

monty said:
Monterey was probably unique in that there is a world-class aquarium, several world class research labs, and a large number of local or semi-local TONMOers, so I suppose wishing to duplicate everything from TONMOCON I in a different location is foolish, though... (Maybe NZ would have all of the above; being an ignorant American, I don't know how close all of you Kiwis and your labs and aquaria are to each other).

Well now let me see....Auckland has Kelly Tarletons Aquarium & Steve, Kat and Co and their research facilities.

Dunedin has the New Zealand Marine Studies Centre & Aquarium and Portobello Marine Lab (all on the same site!), Karunui the Colossal Squid Model and .....er........me (for the time being anyway!) And we have Feelers and Myopsida and Southern Encounter Aquarium in Christchurch.

As far as Florida goes........the Mote Marine Lab and Aquarium is in Sarasota (& they have a preserved Giant Squid called Mollie [the mollusc :roll: ]).

J

I know the guy who runs the Southern Encounter Aquarium, he did some voluntary work with me last summer when he was travelling the world so I could probably try and get in touch with him.

We could all try and organise loads of tonmocons for the same dates in different countries, probably get some good PR there and maybe even get the world record for the most organised meetings at the same time or something!

Im really up for travelling anywhere and at any time of the year. Sorry I was away from the boards to hear about the last one, would have been grand!

We are talking about Florida, is that not where Octopets is based? I could be wrong on this and don't really know much about his facility but that could be worth a look!

Cheers

~Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back