• Welcome to TONMO, a community of cephalopod experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts. Established in 2000, we are the founders of TONMOCON, and birthplace of World Octopus Day and Cephalopod Awareness Days. ...You can register here, and Introduce Yourself. To rid yourself of ads and enjoy other perks, become a Supporter for just $25/year. (Now accepting bitcoin & other crypto!) ...Follow us on Twitter and YouTube for more cephy goodness.
  • Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Tiny Cuttles

Pea-brain

Cuttlefish
Registered
I like the idea of thousands of tiny cuttlefish wandering around a reef tan. They would need to be tropical, but they would be interesting, probably breed relatively easy, and all you said. And for a species only tank you could even feed a diet of BBS like for dwarf seahorses. neat!

Dan

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Pea-brain;97514 said:
And for a species only tank you could even feed a diet of BBS like for dwarf seahorses. neat!
Dan

You will catch the rath of heir O'Shea for that comment for sure!

Pea-brain

Cuttlefish
Registered
Yes, that was posted with less thought to the subject than I should have given it. Dwarf seahorses can survive on a diet of BBS mostly because they barely digest their food with no stomach so a BBS with the egg sack still attached provides as much nutrition as they can pull out of them. A tiny cuttlefish, however, would most likely starve on a diet of BBS. I'm sorry, I posted without thinking much there.

Dan

(PS the thousands of cuttles in a big tank would still be really neat :biggrin2: )

Opcn

GPO
Registered
I bought some Cyclop-eeze freeze dried and on the side of the container they mentioned cycts/eggs as a poduct, it wasn't on their web site and they haven't replied to my email, but if they do sell the eggs it would be really great for feeding small animals I would imagine.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Opcn,
I make heavy use of the frozen (but don't like any freeze dried products) and that may be what they are referring to. If you find out that there is actually a live or hatchable product available please POST as I would be very interested in trying it.

Opcn

GPO
Registered
n65500701_30324665_1329.jpg

Opcn

GPO
Registered
Many cycsts can handle being dried. Brine shrimp cycsts come dried don't they.

Thales

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Yep. I have no idea if copepod eggs can be dried. The don't live in an area where the eggs would dry out naturally like artemia.