• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Tinted glass aquariums!

I was wondering if tanks that have tints on the glass would give an octopus a longer chance of living. I bought a blue metallic tint sheet to cover my aquarium, so that I can see the aquarium inside, but whatever fish or octopus (in the aquarium) can't see us outside of the tank. I believe that will create less stress for the octopus.
flipflop_2k :grad:

Actually, as soon as they get a little older and get their confidence up, most octopuses like to see you. They will place themselves where they can keep an eye on you, and they like to have some activity around. They're quite friendly!

I put my bimac's tank a few feet from where I work on my laptop, so that we could watch each other - and so I could see when she wanted to play.

Nancy

Yeah, Nancy's right. I'm putting my tank right next to my bed in my room. I placed it at a certain angle, so this this way he can see both me and the tv!

I know the octo likes to watch you. So, does it watch TV too?

There was a report some time ago about octopuses liking to watch cartoons. What about yours?

Nancy

Re: Tinted glass aquariums!

flipflop_2k said:
I was wondering if tanks that have tints on the glass would give an octopus a longer chance of living. I bought a blue metallic tint sheet to cover my aquarium, so that I can see the aquarium inside, but whatever fish or octopus (in the aquarium) can't see us outside of the tank. I believe that will create less stress for the octopus.
flipflop_2k :grad:

I think that your idea may create a reflection that the octopus can see and as they are solitary that may even cause more stress. In my opinion, seeing us isnt a problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back