• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

thinking of raising briareus

Just an update on eggs rec'd from Tom's

While several eggs developed primitive eyespots (looked like red smooshed doughnuts under the 'scope), only one has developed real 3-D eyeballs and chromatophores and tentacles. So my fingers are crossed that I can make this one live!

no pix. just a cheap camera w/no macro lens. and I dare not handle the egg enough to take it to work to put under the microscope to photo it. There are still eggs w/eyespots and octo-form in them that are not yellowed. I wonder if they could have been fertilized at a later time (doubt it) or if they just stopped developing. Anyone know if eggs can hatch a week or so apart? (O. briareus.) Also, the developed one moved inside the egg when I shined a light on it, any guesses as to how many days before hatching?

It usually takes about a week for all the babies to hatch. The second brood of mercs took 10 full days to completely hatch (the first very small group hatched in 4 days).

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back