thinking of raising briareus

simple

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
oh that is weird. I guess more money for him then. Hopefully artificially hatching them will work well. Did you get your mysis from Sachs Aquaculture, or have you found a cheaper source? I really hope that they don't need the mysis for too long since that would save me a ton of money. Also, how are you setting up the tanks in which you will hatch them, grow them out etc.?
When are you getting the eggs?
Thanks.

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
There is a TFH book that came out just before our Cephalopods book: Culturing Live Foods, by Michael R. Hellweg.

He does cover mysids and amphipods. In short, mysids are difficult to culture and require cold water, and amphipods are much easier to culture, but take two or three months until you can harvest the extra.

Nancy

simple

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
I plan on ordering mysids from Sachs Aquaculture, as well as some amphipods. I will also try to collect my own hopefully this week. There should be plenty near a beach/ lagoon thats 10 min. from my house and has a ton of mangroves, macroalgae and mud, so i will try to go there and if i cant find any there, ill take a drive down to the keys, where there will be some for sure.
Can anyone come up with an estimate as to how long the hatchlings will need to feed on mysids before they can eat amphipods?
Also, as a side note, i was looking at joefish's thread in which he attempted to raise briareus and he never states why the young died. Does anyone know why this occurred?
Thanks

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Most of the time we don't know why they die. They can die of apparently no cause, even if you put them in separate compartments. The mortality rate is high in the ocean as well.

One cause may be failure to have or find just the right size of food when they need it.

You won't have to use mysids too long - I put them in my tank, which already had amphipods and other small creatures, so I'm not sure when the switch was made.

Nancy

Mr Blobby

Cuttlefish
Registered
simple;135224 said:
oh that is weird. I guess more money for him then. Hopefully artificially hatching them will work well. Did you get your mysis from Sachs Aquaculture, or have you found a cheaper source? I really hope that they don't need the mysis for too long since that would save me a ton of money. Also, how are you setting up the tanks in which you will hatch them, grow them out etc.?
When are you getting the eggs?
Thanks.
yes, I got mysids from Sachs. And since I hadn't really planned on hatching eggs, I don't have seperate containers set up yet.(haven't even figured out that part yet) Tom was supposed to e-mail me an invoice today but didn't. Hopefully he will tomorrow. I have a tank set up for an octo, and three for food critters. Any ideas on how to make seperate compartments/containers?

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Simple,
You might consider a couple of nets with JUST 1. The predation was very heavy once it started with Conanny's offspring. I know Joe was going to pull out a few more for separation after he gave us the ones he had kept in a separate aquarium but I don't know if he kept even these as individuals. Joe's tank is very large but the babies found and mauled each other very early.

I am about to inherit a 65 from my son so we are going to replace Octane's tank with the larger one (another tank to take care of I don't need!) and likely use it for SueNami's offspring if they happen (unless a concurrent hummelincki detours the plan but even that will likely work out OK after SueNami is gone) so I will be anxious for recordings of successes and failures from both you and Mr. Blobby.

simple

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Yea after reading Joefish's experience with predation i think ill try separating maybe around 20 or so individually; if i have space i will do more; because he did describe the holes in the mantle which seem to show that they were killing each other. I will probably get the eggs on thursday; I will try to go collect food today and see what i can get..

Mr Blobby

Cuttlefish
Registered
I wonder if perhaps separating them in such a way that they cannot see each other will decrease stress? Sounds impossible tho. I was considering possibly using those little plastic fish brooder boxes and putting black plastic on the sides facing others. But I'm afraid the flow thru those things may not be adequate. Also, can someone tell me approx how long the female will live after spawning? Until the eggs hatch?

simple

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
I plan on perhaps using dixie cups with netting over them; that way they wont see each other and it'll be fairly cheap as well. The important thing isn't so much the flow but the oxygenation of the water; at least thats what it seems from what i've read. Alright well i'm off to go collect amphipods; wish me luck.

Mr Blobby

Cuttlefish
Registered
I was thinking in terms of consistent, fresh water(uh, fresh...salt...water)with the flow part. I will probably go with breeder nets, but check out PennPlax's Betta Condo (google it). Also, what do people (anyone) think about if coral supplements are taken up by/or affect octos/eggs?