• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Thinking about getting an octopus

Rios

Hatchling
Registered
So I've been thinking of getting an octopus. I've done my research and found that they are not to be taken lightly, since they are a lot of work. I've never had saltwater fish before, but I did have freshwater. I used to have a shark, eel, and very large cichlid. The cichlid was probably the biggest fish I've owned, and it lasted me a long time till it finally died from old age.

Anyway, I would like to get more knowledge, before I take that step into actually getting one (which won't be for a while).

What size tank would be best?
What kind of equipment should I get for the tank?
What kinds of things should be found inside the tank?
What kind of octopus is better for home aquarium?
Whats the smallest? How big do they normally get?
I don't really want an octopus that will get too big.

Do they go well with other fish? I've read they are better left alone, but if it at all, is it possible to put them together with other species, or is it just best to leave them alone?

Wheres the best place to buy them (online or not)?
Male or female?
How old are they usually when you buy them?
Glass tanks or acrylic?

Sorry for all the questions. I just want to make sure I don't make any mistakes, and I want to know as much as possible before I go and actually buy one. Thanks

:welcome: to TONMO. I think you'll find that the ARTICLES tab at the top will answer a lot of your initial questions, and hopefully some of our experienced octo-keepers will respond soon.

Monty is right, between the articles, and reading other peoples posts and threads, You could find the answers to all of those questions. But correct me if I am wrong, but don't sharks live in only salt, and slightly brackish water?

Tommycs;138209 said:
Monty is right, between the articles, and reading other peoples posts and threads, You could find the answers to all of those questions. But correct me if I am wrong, but don't sharks live in only salt, and slightly brackish water?
It wasn't really a 'shark'. It was a catfish, but you know how the pet stores label them xD
It was a white tip shark catfish.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back