• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Thinking about an octo again

:welcome: PokeyD!

Unfortunately, the less mammal-like animals are, the less they tend to be protected by actual laws about animal cruelty. Some EU countries are starting to give cephalopods special status among invertebrates, but I'm not aware of that in the U.S., and even fish don't really get much in the way of protections.

Still, having the Humane Society raise a fuss might be effective, even if they don't have legal standing... and I could be wrong about that.

Thanks Monty... Sort of hard to argue about fish, since their intelligence level doesn't appear to be as high as octopus, but for the most part they aren't alive when eaten!!

I'm not trying to be hypocritical, because let's face it, we all eat things that were once a living being, it's just so sad that a highly intelligent creature has to suffer the fate of being eaten alive. :banghead:

Ugh, that's one of the more horrible things I've read today. I have NO objection to eating fish, but there's something about the unconscious, unthinking cruelty in chowing down on something that is still wriggling.

I've been a fish-eating veg (piscatarian?) for years for humane reasons. I'm afraid I kinda subscribe to the notion that fish are too stupid to care about too much, but since becoming ceph aware, they are as much off the menu as my cat is. I don't mind eating something if it hasn't suffered more than it would have done had I not chosen to eat it, is my rationale.

Don't save one or two. Write to your local humane society and try to help stop the practise. We wouldn't do it to (or tolerate others doing it to) a cute cuddly mammal of equal intelligence..,

hi new to tonmo. well i guess everybody here is an octopus lover. i cant find this post new thread button...but i wanted to share something with everyone on the forum. i found this to be totally disgusting!

nationalgeographic.com then navigate to videos (on the left), then to specials (on the right), then to taboo videos...n if ur really up for it...theres a 4 minute plus video..of people eating life octopi in korea!

i thought it was sad...n terrible!

okay have a good day..sorry didnt know how to post this n where!

cheerios

alritey was told that this would be a better place :smile: excusez moi

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back