• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Think this'll work?

Okay. That sounds reasonable. All that I have in my 90 gallon reef sump is a big bag or activated carbon that I change once a month and a filter pad called poly filter that helps remove many harmful metals, including copper and aluminium, as these are just as harmful to many corals as they are to octopuses. I'm in the process of adding a large filter bag.

I may hang a small filter bag in the bottom filter shelf to capture particulate matter in the octopus tank. Carbon only acts as a partially effective mechanical filter from my experience.

I need to get a good clean up crew list. I'm sure I can add those before the octopus comes as they should help to mature the tank once it's cycled. I'm sure there's a thread on here somewhere about what critters are helpful and good tank mates with octopodes.

Actually, I put my charcoal IN my filter bags for all tanks with a sump. I use the poly-filter pad in the Nano (in addition to carbon) but have gone with the carbon/socks in all sumped tanks.

I keep spare socks and carbon bags and swap them weekly. The socks get cloroxed and the charcoal gets a good rinse and replaced once every couple of weeks.

lance;131422 said:
do you build tanks?

Lance, if you mean me, no. I am (I should say we are as Neal (spouse) is the tool guy) just an avid (rabid?) hobbiest that enjoys experimenting and reasonable DIY (did I just create an oxymoron?) projects in addition to playing with octopuses. To be honest, however, most anyone staying in the saltwater hobby becomes a DIY novice as a minimum.

It was a great design

I have been in the hobby for awhile building tanks and skimmer's stuff like that I might have to steal your idea and tweak it a bit I like the design and hope you can find a workable solution for the application your trying to achieve.

lance
:smile:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back