• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

The swedish octopus ;)

Typically, we don't use air stones in an octopus display tank but because the top must be closed, there must be some form of water movement to exchange air and CO2 in order to keep enough oxygen in the water. This is most easily accomplished with an open sump where there is full air exposure and a skimmer.

It has been observed that large air bubble can be caught in the mantle and may be fatal to the octopus. That being said, others have kept air stones in the display without problems.

Typically, we don't use air stones in an octopus display tank but because the top must be closed, there must be some form of water movement to exchange air and CO2 in order to keep enough oxygen in the water. This is most easily accomplished with an open sump where there is full air exposure and a skimmer.

It has been observed that large air bubble can be caught in the mantle and may be fatal to the octopus. That being said, others have kept air stones in the display without problems.

Well I start to feel that i might made a misstake not using a sump now ... I am worried I won't get enough oxygen within the tank.
I heard airstones don't give a lot of oxygen which is sad because I was planing to use that as a source of oxygen.
But if I am corecct as long as I have some sort of hole let's say at the top of the tank,covered with net so the octopus won't get through but there is still small holes in the net which should make the air enter the tank, would that result in oxygenated water ??

On the photo where I am pointing with my finger that is the hole I mean.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    903.3 KB · Views: 86
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,011 KB · Views: 126
Your skimmer will help a little. Does it return the water above or below the water line? If above, it will again be more helpful but cause micro bubbles. I place a filter sock at the return so that the water has air exposure but the filter sock prevents micro bubbles (and gives a bit more filtration). You will still need more surface water movement though. You can place a pump to disrupt the surface adhesion. Power heads do better than my favored Koralias for this but you must be VERY careful with the intake as the octopuses will almost always try to explore it and find the impeller with their arms. Many have some kind of plastic screening but I recommend adding netting and securing it well.

The reurn on the Skimmer Will be above the water line so that's good.
I actually ordered a jebao rw 8 with that I can make wave motions on the surface and get good movement on the surface :smile: hope that will be enough to make sure the water gets oxygenated.

Dwhatley do you think the hole I show in the picture above will be enough of a opening? and with good amount of surface movement will give me enough oxygen? If yes I'm happy

Sorry if my English is bad haha trying to be as understood as possible :smile:

Sadly, measuring oxygen levels is not something hobbyists can do, we can only guess. Since I use an open sump, I can only suggest ways I know should help but can't give experienced advice.

Your English is clearly understood :thumbsup:. Do not hesitate to ask for clarification if mine is not :biggrin2:. I tend to ramble a little :roll: and esoteric terms and local idioms can be confusing even to native speakers of any language.

I understand no worries it's a good thing I lived in California for a year haha it has helped me a lot with the English :smile:

I think it will work with that hole and good amount of movement on the surface but I still don't want to risk anything. I understand it's hard to suggest something we haven't tried. I am starting to think I might just make the tank half open with a mosquito net over the opening so the octopus won't be able to squeeze out but at the same time I will have a bigger open area and make sure it will get enough oxygen. I must say there is a lot to think of when planing a octopus tank haha well I guess that's one of the fun parts as well though:smile:

I am very grateful of all the help you guys are giving me and all the suggestions I get, this forum is great and you guys are great. I keep you updated so stay tuned:smile:

Hello everyone! the cycling is going forward! Got my liverock 8 days ago so I am in week number 2 right now :biggrin2: feels really good to see the tank running and cycling, just have to remind myself that it takes time and that I need to have patience haha :wink:. When my amonia and nitrite is at 0 I will get some hermitcrabs and snails as clean up crew, I know they will get eaten at some point but thats when I will fill up with more of them, I am just happy if they can be there for a while. One positive thing is that the liverock i got from my LFS was full of crabs !!! yaay thats just perfect ;D

as said before i will keep you updated, we all just need patience for the moment haha :wink:

Cheers from sweden :smile:

Once you have no ammonia and no nitrites, you can also think about a brittle star. They are kind of recluse but will learn dinner time and can often be hand fed. Avoid the green. If you can find a red, they are my favorite and will sometimes come out during the day.

Thats sounds as a good Idea DWhatley :smile:

The cycling is going forward but i have discovered a bad thing With the liverock .. yesterday i was looking in the tank and i saw a isopod... i know they are parasites and i HATE Them... i am even worried to put my hands in the tank now wich is soo anoying especially if I would like to change something within the tank. :frown: and I'm worried the octopus will get hurt by the isopods. Does anyone here now anyway of getting rid of them or can they basically starve to death I mean there is nothing in the tank to suck blood from. Please guys help me.

In addition to @cuttlegirl 's thoughts, are you sure these are not amphipods? Generally speaking we see tons of safe, tiny shrimp like creatures come to life as a tank matures. These are desirable and will provide both cleanup and food for the octopus.

:roflmao:After looking really close at it in sure it was a amphipod haha i get scared to easy. I'm so excited right now and i am basically staring at my empty tank every day hahah.

Will send some pics as soon as I get some time.

Attachments

• IMG_2304.JPG
    IMG_2304.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 102
  • IMG_2303.JPG
    IMG_2303.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 78

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back