• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

The swedish octopus ;)

bläckis

O. vulgaris
Registered
Hello everyone!
it has been for to long since i logged in here on tonmo.. I had a difficult time in life my mother passed away in a car crash so my dream of owning a octopus was put on "ice" sort of saying. But now i am back and happy and life goes on, and finnaly after many years of reading planing and watching i decided to get my very own octopus. I want to give a special thanks to Nancy king and colin for writting the book I been reading and learning from.

First i thought it would been very difficult of getting a octopus, I live in sweden and many of the LFS here do not get them. But when i called a store in stockholm they said yes! so I will order from them and they said that they could get them from Africa. well Africa is big so i dont really know what kind I will get but has anyone here any idea of what kind of octos that live near Africa?

best regards David.

:welcome: back, @bläckis! Sure has been a long time; activity on the forums have changed a bit but the support and learnings are all still here. @Colin isn't around much at all these days (maybe you'll catch him once per year :smile2:smile: but @Nancy should see this soon enough, as will others here.

Looking forward to following your new journey! :thumbsup:

Planing my octopus tank right now and there is a lot to Think of:smile:.
I will have a 66gallon tank and I know that sump systems are the best for a octopus tank but I would like to try without a sump.

So my plan is to have a external skimmer that does not need a sump and can stand outside the tank.

the tank have a internal bioflow filtersystem, here I will cover the pump outflow with a filtersock so he/she can`t go through it and into the filterbox.

My biggest question right now is how to have a good oxygen level in the tank? I know that the skimmer will do it`s part but I was thinkig of having 2 powerheads as well to oxygenate the water. But as we know they are very curious animals and the least I want is an octopus without arms :hmm: does anyone here know any good circulation pump that would do well within the tank??

Wow David,

How lucky to get an octopus from Africa! Make sure you have access to food for the octopus. If possible live shrimp, crabs and clams. If not then frozen food.

Thanks for the advice cuttlegirl :biggrin2:
I will start filling the tank with copepods,snails and hermitcrabs. I will be able to order live copepods and mysis but I know that they will be small in the long term, finding somone who will be able to send me live crabs and shrimps seems to be a hard task here in sweden. But I am Always looking for a good source. There is a chance my LFS could order but I have to talk to them again about that. Otherwise I will do my best to try frozen/thawed shrimps and crabs. I know by fact my local food store sells boiled crabs but I do not know if that is good enough.

You will want raw foods. Anything in the frozen seafood section that it will accept should be good. Here, we often find live blue crab in our Asian markets. I look for claws that have already been separated from their hosts and freeze them (don't remove the claws yourself).

I use Koralia style pumps in my tanks and enclose them in a zippered media net (like this). You can close the zipper so that only the cord is exposed. The bags also seem to help protect the pumps from waste but you do need to clean them occasionally.

If you have native crayfish, these can be a source of occasional live food. They are freshwater animals but come close to providing the needed fats. They will live in saltwater for awhile but you will want to watch to be sure it is consumed and not leave it to decay if it is rejected and dies.

You will want raw foods. Anything in the frozen seafood section that it will accept should be good. Here, we often find live blue crab in our Asian markets. I look for claws that have already been separated from their hosts and freeze them (don't remove the claws yourself).

I use Koralia style pumps in my tanks and enclose them in a zippered media net (like this). You can close the zipper so that only the cord is exposed. The bags also seem to help protect the pumps from waste but you do need to clean them occasionally.

If you have native crayfish, these can be a source of occasional live food. They are freshwater animals but come close to providing the needed fats. They will live in saltwater for awhile but you will want to watch to be sure it is consumed and not leave it to decay if it is rejected and dies.

Thank you for all the advice guys it really helps!
DWhatley could you send me a pic in this thread on your pumps how it looks like, I think I will do as you, it seems to be a great idea! :biggrin2: what Koralia model would you recomend for a 66gallon tank?

cheers david

Hey all :smile:
Going to my LFS in Stockholm today to plan my tank yaaay :biggrin2:
I will ask them if they will be able to get hold of some sort of crabs or crayfish. I do know they sell live copepods,artemia,moina Salina and cervettes shrimp. The Cervettes might work well they are the biggest of these shrimps.
I would like to be able to order crabs as well, does anyone here know any website that ships to europé?? I have searched on google but all the websites that look good only ship within the US. :-/

I can manage to get frozen crabs raw and cockles but they will be dead and not live food, I can also manage to get frozen raw mussels. :smile2:

Cheers !

I took a picture of the two sizes of Koralias (Models 1 and 4) that I use with the netting. I actually prefer multiple smaller units to the larger one as they hide better behind the rockwork. I usually save my charcoal bags with broken zippers to be used around the pumps as it does not seem to be necessary to zip them almost closed (wire requires a small opening) except for very small animals.
DSCN4027.JPG DSCN4026.JPG DSCN4025.JPG

Hey all sorry for being of lately. In all my planing for the octopus I got a new job at the bank so I have been busy on that. But I got some good news ! I have finally got my tank and at the very moment I'm mixing the salt !!!! Yaaay one step closer to my dream :wink:
I'm only waiting for my pumps and on the saltwater to reach the right salinity after that I will order my liverock and livesand and the cycle will be official.

Even though when the cycle is done I heard that it's recommended to have the tank matured for at least 3 months. is that still a recommendation? Or can I order the octopus after my cycling process ?

Thanks dwhatley! I will do the same on the ones I get great pics :smile:

I got a question guys is it necessary to use a air pump with wooden air diffusers? to get good amount of oxygen? I mean the koralia pumps should give oxygen right? same goes for the skimmer if I am not wrong? I was just wondering..:confused2::confused2:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back