The Old Ones Sign

a_lex

Cuttlefish
Registered
Everybody knows about the so called "Elder Sign" (especialy about Derleth's one)... A question came to my mind, did Lovexraft or any of his followers bother to invent a sign to be associated with The Old Ones and/or Chthuhu?

Not to my knowledge, at least from HPL and his immediate contemporaries, although I've always suspected the SPECTRE organization's most secret initiation ceremonies were ultimately Cthulhu-cult activities, hence their malevolent octopus symbol and their political stance (by Cold War standards - they just want chaos for the world and personal enrichment for themselves. They'll do business with any side, any government, any criminal organization, but ultimately it's all really, reall bad. Sounds pretty Cthulhoid to me).

As far as a standarized Great Old Ones symbol, there are others here who might know things I do not. Toren? Graeme? Ob? Greg?

erich orser;79497 said:
Not to my knowledge, at least from HPL and his immediate contemporaries, although I've always suspected the SPECTRE organization's most secret initiation ceremonies were ultimately Cthulhu-cult activities, hence their malevolent octopus symbol and their political stance (by Cold War standards - they just want chaos for the world and personal enrichment for themselves. They'll do business with any side, any government, any criminal organization, but ultimately it's all really, reall bad. Sounds pretty Cthulhoid to me).

Really???Sounds like Multimational Corporations to me! :sagrin:

a_lex;79485 said:
Everybody knows about the so called "Elder Sign" (especialy about Derleth's one)... A question came to my mind, did Lovexraft or any of his followers bother to invent a sign to be associated with The Old Ones and/or Chthuhu?

My first guess is a no. Let me consult my copy of Al Azif...

In Danforth's sketchbook/diary, there was a drawing of the curious soapstone fragments found near the bodies of the Old One's:

oldone.jpg

And in another expedition to the vault in the vast desert of Australia, these curious plates of metal were found embedded in rock near the openings of dark caves, curiously rectangular in shape:

cthulhusigil.jpg

Well, in the writings of Dr. Colton-Upton Moore, they are ascribed to the Elder beings, though it is also apparent that the soapstone fragments seemed to be gathered in areas of mass entombments located near the same sort of oddly regular outcroppings of time-worn, ancient, and degraded basalt openings that led into intensely dark tunnels with curious carvings...

I did manage to find the online text, with the same images, although they would not come through here...curious.

Excerpt from DR. C.U. Moore’s book,
“The Variant Stages of Cthonic Biology”
Miskatonic Press, 1947

Chapter Sixteen

Types of Religious Symbolism Used in Cthonic Worship

Part One:

There is no doubt that some of the degraded peoples of certain backwards countries have, indeed, at some points in time, actually worshipped certain biological creatures as gods, or at least, visiting entities from another space and time.
While these practices are, beyond reasonable doubt, ludicrous, it behooves any scholar researching the biological Cthonic studies to take a moment to learn a bit more about the origins of such “cults”, and the resulting repellant figurines, texts, and paintings that sprang from the festering minds of the worshippers.

The Difference Between Organizational Structures:

Great Old Ones:
Considered by most educated persons to be the Octopidian ancestors of today’s modern cephalopods, many of the seafaring countries world wide persist in their belief that there is, in fact, a great “octopus headed god” , that for some unknown reason, is sleeping at the bottom of the Pacific Ocean in a “monstrous, sky-flung tower of basalt”. According to their ridiculous theories, at a certain point in time, this “god” will arise and wipe the bulk of humanity from the surface of the Earth, in preparation for the next series of movements through the non-Euclidean space , as described by the ramblings of the wild Professor Einstein.
The actual dates, of course, are widely varied, according to what culture happens to be spouting out the “information”. The Mayans state that the great deluge will occur in 2012, while some of the cults in the Northern Hemisphere insist it will be on the cusp of 2001, as the Milennium changes. More will be discussed later in this text, as appropriate.
(see coloured plate twenty one)

Elder Beings:
The large Radiata found by several expeditions to the Antartic Region of our globe have indeed revealed some interesting clues into our own evolution, and the specimens recovered by the first two journeys have proved to be a baffling conundrum for the scientific world, showing signs of actual pre-human intelligence beyond the simplistic minds of the mere animals. More to the point, some of the festered cults in the southern

seas actually have evidence of carven sculptures and petroglyphic artworks showing beings that are very similar in shape and hideous outline to that of the recently discovered Radiata, which have not yet been classified, as they show signs of belonging to both the Animalae and the Plantae kingdoms.

(see plate twenty one, figure two)

Colured Plates 21:

fig 1

fig 2

cthulhu77;79614 said:
And in another expedition to the vault in the vast desert of Australia, these curious plates of metal were found embedded in rock near the openings of dark caves, curiously rectangular in shape:

cthulhusigil.jpg

Hey, do you know where that Yith glyph originates? As in, who drew it? My band's new album is an adaptation of The Shadow Out of Time and I would love to know the source of that drawing!

cthulhu77;79621 said:
I did manage to find the online text, with the same images, although they would not come through here...curious.

Excerpt from DR. C.U. Moore’s book,
“The Variant Stages of Cthonic Biology”
Miskatonic Press, 1947

I guess that answers my question!

ob

I could show you, but then I would HAVE to kill you...

Deal... I'm just too curious to live

erich orser

I've always suspected the SPECTRE organization's most secret initiation ceremonies were ultimately Cthulhu-cult activities, hence their malevolent octopus symbol and their political stance (by Cold War standards - they just want chaos for the world and personal enrichment for themselves. They'll do business with any side, any government, any criminal organization, but ultimately it's all really, reall bad. Sounds pretty Cthulhoid to me).

sorseress

Really???Sounds like Multimational Corporations to me!

I see no contadiction here. Why can't the Cult of Cthulhu be in control of some of the leading multinational corporations? That seems to be a logical number one on to-do list for anyone worshiping a paranormal anthropocidal entity :roll:

So, if the S.P.E. in SPECTRE does stand for "Special Executive", it may actualy be "Cult of Cthulhu special executive" :wink: . Why not? Every religious movement is a sort of corporation, a design devoted to syphoning and concentrating wealth. Maybe the Cult of Cthulhu understand this so well they have titles reading in managerspeak, i.e. no "High Priests", only CEOs.

On a sidenote, in russian livejournal there is a guy who claims, in his userinfo, he is an "executive oficer" of Cult's "Cthulhu Awakening Acceleration Departament" and "Nyarlathothep's consultant secretary".

So, might be it is not a "religious/heraldic symbol" we are discussing. It may be a corporate logo :cool2:

Sorry to announce this, but it seems that the server is down for the internet available version of that book...luckily, I was able to dowload the entire thing last week...boy, is it long!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back