The Octopus and The Military

The patch for USS Cuttlefish SS-171:

USS_Cuttlefish__SS-171.JPG

very nice...is that a Sunfish type of sub? where did you find that illo?
Inquiring minds wanna know! :biggrin2:
greg

download.php

First commissioned in 1944 as Merchant Marine vessel Aberdeen Victory, USS Altair was re-named and commissioned as a Navy stores supply ship in 1951. The mascot on the patch holds common stores items: paint, a broom, a mop, and that precious commodity tobacco, represented by the smoking cigarette in the octo's upper right arm. Also: candy. Lots of candy. Altair spent the bulk of her service career servicing the US Sixth Fleet in the Mediterranean, but took a hot detour in 1962 to re-supply vessels involved in the blockade of Cuba, during the November missile crisis. Altair was sold for scrap in 1975. A full history of the ship can be found, here.

:smoke:

Clem

Greg,

Very cephy, indeed. And, very good camouflage, if you're sortieing against a color-blind navy. :roll:

You're not building that, too, are you?

Clem

No...my wife is of the opinion that I have enough kits to keep me busy for a while...after all, with the Tonmo in progress, and the Titenfisch beckoning, I should be quite taken!

you have to admire the cajones of ww1 pilots though...some of those camo patterns were quite wild...makes for fun painting!

Ok, so it took a while...most frustrating part? I spent well over a week detailing the inside of the cabin...to find out you can't see a damn bit of it...Shanlyn was laughing her rear off over that one. Will know better next time, I suppose...(or maybe not)
download.php

Working with a friend of mine to produce a page on the line of battleships and cruisers named "USS Miskatonic". Decided to start with the third ship built, the patrol battlecruiser BA-7, built in Arkham Shipyards in 1916, and launched in 1918. It featured three 9" guns, 8 3.25", 12 2"smoothbore, and a variety of small arms. Also unusual about this ship, was the inclusion of a W5b Albatross seaplane on a small catapault,the Miskatonic was one of the first cruisers to carry a seaplane.
Neat stuff.
download.php

download.php

No, the design is not of my own...the famous illustrator Thom Ardans did it prior to a seizure brought on by a dream in which he swears (to his doctors) that he had seen the frozen plains on Leng...
There are only a few photographs still surviving from the launch of this odd fated battlecruiser...some we are still awaiting permission from the families of the deceased to use, but this one is on public record, and can be shown:
in it we see, from left to right, :
Dr.Howard Lovecraft, author of the commencement ceremonies
Ms. Jane Brody Haskell, official bottle carrier
Mrs. Evelyn Flaumaush, wine taster
Princess Carol Smothersby of Wales (England)
Habduul Allhara'azed, safety engineer
download.php

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back