[Octopus]: The Oaktopuses: neurobadger does her PhD work

Hi TONMO. Long time, no see.

In the intervening years since I've last chatted with you all, I've gotten into the MCDB PhD program at UCSB. I am now a bona fide member of the lab of Todd Oakley!

I've got a big shiny project on octopus vision that I don't want to get into the specifics of at the moment (because it's really big and really shiny), but I did get two adorable octopuses today. They are the first of many octopuses I will train, do behavioral experiments on, and then release for the first stage of my project. I don't have pictures yet, but the first two are named Emily and Paul, for two friends of mine.

Emily is tiny and hides under things. Paul is big and last I saw him was sprawling around his jar.

Hi neurobadger!
It's been a long time!
You've spent those years well, and we're glad to hear that you 're still involved with cephs.
I'm looking forward to photos of Paul and Emily. Are they the same species?
We'd be interested in hearing more about your research, the training and experiments.
So nice to hear from you again and find you are doing so well!

Nancy

They are Octopus bimaculoides, to my knowledge. I don't know how to differentiate between bimaculoides and bimaculatus.

They're being kept in jars at the moment because we don't have escape-proof housing. I'm going to try to get a little money to house them in something more comfortable for them. I did buy them toys yesterday.

Here is Paul.

Attachments

• IMG_0788.JPG
    IMG_0788.JPG
    915.3 KB · Views: 115
Octopus bimaculoides is a wonderful species to work with. A number of us kept this species in the early days of Tonmo, when this species was available to purchase.
The false eyespot is different on O. bimaculoides and O. bimaculatatus. I'll see if I can find a photo. The bimaculatus is usually found in deeper waters, and almost never is available for purchase.
Thanks for posting Paul's photo. How large is he? Hope you can arrarange for a bigger aquarium for each of them.

Nancy

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back