The NRCC

daddysquoc

Wonderpus
Registered
i heard on the radio today that the island of Galveston, TX, was flattened by Hurricaine Ike. does anyone know if the NRCC (National Resource Center for Cephalopods) is okay?

There is damage in Galveston, but not as bad as the media is reporting. They lost 17 buildings, but its a town of 60,000 people. Some areas have had flooding, but the Galveston seawall spared the town from damage by the storm surge, which flattened so many beach homes on Bolivar peninsula.

The loss of power might be a greater worry. I've been reading the local newspaper online and have seen no reports of damage at Moody Gardens, where the NRCC is now located. As phones are down, it's difficult to find out at present. Some cell phone capability has been restored. Quite a few people stayed through the storm and are there on the island now.

Nancy

I'm sure they do have an emergency generator system. The whole Moody Gardens complex features a large aquarium and a rainforest pyramid with many aniimals, so they have to have a way to keep them all safe.

They certainly didn't get flattened - we would have heard about that by now, so hope that everything is OK.

Nancy

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back