the awful film:

Gorey would have done a great job. He invited me to come and visit him once, which I never got around to doing.....too bad, I really liked his work and he was a real character.

Not in person. When I had the bookstore I was trying to find other books by him, so I called a number I found. It turned out to be his home number. He was fun to talk to and we must have talked for a couple of hours. He was exactly as you would expect him to be...a bit cranky, but funny cranky, and seemingly surprised that anyone would want to buy his books. The was he describe his house was exactly as you would expect it to be too. He also warned me that when I came I would have to walk around piles of books, move them from the sofa to sit down, etc, etc. He was definitely eccentric, but who would have expected anything else?

He did do a fair amount of HPL inspired toons though, a true genius, and a great artist.
I say, we ReAnimate him.

Ok, just did a quick Wiki search for Edward Gorey and got a rough idea, but I still don't really know who he is. However, what I do know is that I will sink in a mire like Quentin. Word for word:
You will sink in a mire. You like to think you're normal, but deep down you really just want to strip off your clothes and roll around in chicken fat.

I don't mind (and there may be some truth to) the first 2/3 of this statement, but the ending I find somewhat unsettling. Great link though!

Cheers!

Attachments

• conv_290053.jpg
    conv_290053.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 57
Hey main_board, you and me scored the same!

Skeleton walks into a bar... Bartender says, "what'll it be, buddy?" Skeleton says, "I'll have a beer and a mop!"

Nice drawing, Toren!

How many HPL adaptations has there been? I wouldn't mind tracking down a few. I do know of Dagon (as in a Shadow Over Innsmouth adaptation), Reanimator and that silent one (which I really wouldn't mind seeing- it's supposed to be good). And what exactly is the deal with this "Cthulhu" with homosexual undertones? Surely it's not the same as the silent movie? It's quite baffling, really.

Oh and, top pic, Toren!

What it is a lame script using the cover of homosexuality to try to bring out some sort of discussion in the media...has nothing to do with HPL at all, other than the title.
The silent film is worthwhile, and heavily recommended.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back