• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

terrestrial slugs as food choice for bimac?

b25oshea

Blue Ring
Registered
Followiing a science project, i have been left with 30 terrestrial slugs. Limax flavis. Will teh toxins they secrete be harmful to the cotopus?

I don't know the exact answer, but why would you risk feeding an octopus, an aquatic animal, something so far removed from what he naturally eats?

Nancy

I think that there are too many toxins and substances in snail slime to make it safe to feed them to octopuses. Better not

there are lots of fish feeding on land insects. crickets, flies grashoppers, even snails.

but these fish are all freshwater or at the most brackish water like arowana, archer fish, butterfly fish.

All of these fish are more or less specialized in this kind of prey. so for them it's not harmful. It's likely that an octo never saw a snail up close. maybe he'll eat it. but I would also be on the safe side and not risk it.

maybe you can sell the snails to a french restaurant that serves "escargot" (for those who don't know escargot is french for snail)

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back