Tentacles - Monterey Bay Aquarium (MBARI) Exhibit

Please take a good camera with decent low light ability and a tripod :sagrin: as no flash is allowed and I want to at least see pictures!!!!

Seeing a live vampire squid has been on my bucket list from the minute I saw early videos. I never dreamed it might actually be possible until the Tentacles exhibit (and learning that labs figured out how to keep them alive for more than half an hour). The newest video is of the "dumbo" octopus they are calling a "flapjack" and has some really cool arm maneuvers that have bumped it into my must see column as well.

Absolutely delighted to be (uh hummm) corrected :wink: I knew it was not vampyroteuthis but missed that the flapjack was not Grimpoteuthis. Indeed it IS great to have a tasonomist or three at arms reach!

Public gets first view of a live vampire squid and other deep-sea cephalopods

Nice article on the Tentacles exhibit and some of the hoops that had to be jumped.
"When you have an animal in a tank, you can see little details in the shapes and behavior that you might not notice in video," Bush said. "For example, of the 14 flapjack octopuses we've collected, every single one was a mature female. We have no idea why this is—or where the males are."
Bush is especially excited because one of the female octopuses laid eggs in its tank. "Before this, no one even knew what the eggs of this octopus looked like," she said. "Now we know that they lay these little tiny eggs on rocks, and then cover them with sand." Bush hopes that the eggs will hatch, but neither she nor anyone else knows how long this might take. ...

The Veined Octopus: The Original RVer?

Published on Jun 24, 2014
The veined or "coconut" octopus will pick up anything at its disposal to make a home on the road. This includes old cans, bottles, boots, shells and yes—coconuts. The veined octopus (Amphioctopus marginatus) is found in Indo-Pacific waters, has a fist-sized body and lives to be a year old. Common prey items include crustaceans and small fishes.

I had an amazing time at Tentacles! Here's a few shots from my journey through ceph-ness!

Attachments

• 147.JPG
    147.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 227
  • 157.JPG
    157.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 207
  • 183.JPG
    183.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 236
  • 233.JPG
    233.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 197

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back