Temperature

ArchyNorth

GPO
Registered
Hey there,

A question popped into my head last night.
I was watching a show regarding IR technology being used for population census's of Wolves in the Boreal Forest. A person could never get an accurate population number from the ground and seeing them from the air is next to impossible due to the packed trees.

Anyway, I would assume that Benthic Cepholapods are ectothermic and their body temperatures are the same as their environment. What happens though when they move? Muscle movement generates heat, and though water would dissipate it quickly, it would still show on IR sensors wouldn't it?

I just found this post and it talks about body temperature a bit. I've never heard of poikilothermic before. I'll have to pull out my dictionary. :smile:

I wonder if we have sensitive enough sensors to help us "see" in the deep water environment.

Just a thought,

Arthur

Not taking the time to double-check but yeah the problem is very likely to be around heat (hence IR) dissipating too quickly in the water. You might "see" the cephs' heat signature when rather close but not at all further away so rendering IR tech as useless as regular lighting in the "deep see" :biggrin2:
However using sensitive sensors on organisms in captivity (read: can't get away), it might show interesting patterns as to how a ceph uses its energy.

TPOTH

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back