• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

temp.

Keith

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
so ive been able to maintain about 70 degrees in my apartment, but occasionally it gets warmer. i know octopi are decently temp. resistant, but how warm can it get before it becomes a problem?

although ive been contemplating an o vulgaris. i dont know too much about vulgaris though. the two spot would just be easier for me to get. there arent really any good LFSs in my area, so ill probably end up goin out to catch one. by the way, does anybody know what kind of license i need for that?

vulgaris get very large, I forget what the recommended tank size is, but it's in the 150-200gal range. We also haven't seen them sold at all in the trade for years, really... although many other species are sold as "vulgaris" because it appears many suppliers just say "vulgaris" or "bimac" instead of "we have no idea."

bimac, hummelincki, aculeatus, and briareus seem to be the octos that are the best pet octos that are commonly available, although if you have a big enough tank, vulgaris have a reputation for being clever, interactive, and very good escape artists.

Keith;119554 said:
yea. the LFS i talked to can only get vulgaris. they dont sell any local octos. im not sure if thats something illegal or what? anyone know?

Most states have laws that do not allow native species of that state to be sold unless they have been collected from out of that state and most shops still do not carry them because they need to have proof that the animal was collected out of state. For example, noone in Kansas carries western box turtles because they are native to Kansas even though they can get them from collectors in Missouri and other states. That may be why??

ive also been looking at aculeatus. i cant find anything about how to care for them online though. does anyone know there temp. recommendations and if they are cool for a 75 gallon tank? i want that bimac, but it looks like its gonna be a hardcore pain in the ass to get it.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back