• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Tanks - HOW MUCH??

oscar

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
I am looking at setting up my first ever marine tank which i hope will eventually be home to cuttlefish. I have my heart set on a 5' tank but am looking at other options. One thing i am finding very difficult is determinig a REALISTIC overall price. Now i mean EVERYTHING!!

5' tank, filters, pumps, protein skimmers (all options - like undergravel but it sounds like they aren't the best option for cephalopods), gravel/crushed coral, liverock, salt, additives, whatever! (anything else i need?) (havent included corals etc)

Could you also gove me estimates for a 3', 4' and 6' tanks!! thanks so much!

I am getting really excited!! :heee:

I live in Australia - is there anything i need to know about special ordering anything - leave the prices in US dollars - i can convert it!!

thanks heaps

Sam

It's going to be difficult for anyone to respond to your question, because there are so many variables. The best thing for you to do is to determine which ceph you're going to keep (cuttlefish will demand a very large tank), then work through Colin's Equipment List and make your own list.

The price in the US and where you are could vary a lot - also prices vary between stores and on the web. And you could make some of your equipment, buy some of it used, etc.

Get estimates from your local fish store, and ask for the best and then for the most economical, and get two different price lists.

It made sense to me to consider the pricing in groups:
1) tank, stand, cover, light
2) filtration : protein skimmer and wet/dry?
3) system pump and powerhead
4) sand and live rock
5) cleaning and water change equipment, such as cleaning magnet, algae
scrapers, nets (and many little homemade tools, such as a piece of
comb attached to a dowel rod)
6) water, salt and/or salt water
7) any small extras

Good luck!

Nancy

How big is big? Do i need to consider another option such as an octopus? what is the reccomended tank size for a cuttlefish?

Also, i have looked at many filtration system and they all seem to do the job fine! I would appreciate a very quick description of a wet/dry or sump (are they the same?) but i really just need to decide!! what do u recomend?

What is a system pump or powerhead? is that just for circulation?

Can i just get sea water from the sea? Otherwise - what kind of process/money is involved in synthtic salt water?

Sorry for pounding you with questions! i appreciate your patience and help (VERY HELPFULL! lol)

thanks again, sam

It depends on what species of cuttlefish you plan to get and where you're from, species like bandensis can be kept in 20gallons while larger species may need tanks in excess of 200 gallons.

I am in australia and am intending to at least try to catch a cuttlefish - i have seen a picture of a beautiful zebra patterned one from the east coast where i live but cant find it again to get the name!!! (any ideas?)

I know i can catch octopi in my area and have seen a few without even looking for them! Is it likely that cuttles will be in the same area? - squid also frequent the area.

If so should i go day/night (night might be dangerous?) what do i need for collection and storage while in transit (about 40 minutes)

There are manuy cuttles living in Australia, their max sizes rane from 4.6cm - 50cm ML (mantle length). Many species of adult cuttles use that zebra pattern for mating and for aggression.

I found the picture again - it was Mark Normans pic of the striped pyjama squid - i have heard varying information as to wether it is a squid (as its common name suggests) or a cuttlefish

Do you know where i can catch any aquarium suitable cuttle on the east coast of australia

Plus, couls you reply to my earlier question where you know the answers ...thanks very much

sam

oscar said:
I found the picture again - it was Mark Normans pic of the striped pyjama squid - i have heard varying information as to wether it is a squid (as its common name suggests) or a cuttlefish

Do you know where i can catch any aquarium suitable cuttle on the east coast of australia

Plus, couls you reply to my earlier question where you know the answers ...thanks very much

sam

hiya Sam,

the striped pajama squid despite it's name is more closely allied to the cuttlefish. It is a Sepiolid. We have something similar over in NZ. The NZ species are Nocturnal as are your wee guys if memory serves. So you'll need to go at night and take a strong light (flounder lights are good) and a dip net. For transport a large (~20L ) Bucket with lid will do. And carry some spare water so you can do water change in case of inking. (Bubblers in a confined space are a no-no!).

Your tank will require some fine sand etc so the wee guy can bury itself. We use seawater from the sea! but you'll need to filter it. No problem with artificial so long as you make it up carefully.

One thing.....there can be NO TRACE of copper in your system. That's a sure fire way to kill your new friend very rapidly. And you'll need to think of a food source before you go collecting.

I advise you do heaps of research before you go out to collect the inkling other wise it's liable to die very quickly!

Good luck

Cheers

jean

Thanks for the advice!!! I have been doing lots of research so i am getting there - slowly!! there is very little info on actually collecting cephalopods, im gonna go check out the state library this week.

Do you collect? if so, do you actually dive down to the floor? Your reply made it sound as if you didn't but i was expecting a swim lol. Also do you know of collection methods for other cuttles - probably reaper cuttle because they occur near me!! (lucky me - they are usually bright red but also change colours quite well, though not as well as officionalis etc)

Any MORE information on collecting would be great!! Like, how do you select a location - depth, surrounds, time etc.

Also dont worry, i havent even set up my 6' yet, i am gathering information so i can check out different places while i am cycling the tank!!
(3 MONTHS!!! - i guess i have to wait that long but ohhhhh!!) lol

thanks VERY MUCH jean, you have been a great help,

sam

oscar said:
Do you collect? if so, do you actually dive down to the floor? Your reply made it sound as if you didn't but i was expecting a swim lol. Also do you know of collection methods for other cuttles - probably reaper cuttle because they occur near me!! (lucky me - they are usually bright red but also change colours quite well, though not as well as officionalis etc)

sam

Hi Sam,

Yes I collect (I work for a Marine Lab and Aquarium!). No we don't get in the water (It can be rather cold down here in southern NZ). We actually use a boat and a bottom trawl for ours :biggrin2: But I have caught them off the jetty in the manner I've described (also caught juvenile arrow squid in a similar way but that's another story..........).

As for other cuttles.............hmm I'd listen to Joel. we don't have true cuttles of that type in NZ, tis too cold. (although I think they get them occasionally up North). We mainly catch the Sepiolids and Octopus.

Whereabouts in Aus are you?

Cheers

J

I live in Brisbane Queensland, so it is a little warmer than the south island!
Even so there are only one species of cuttlefish (the reaper cuttlefish - sepia mestus) and sepiolids - but for the latter it is a little hot! :x

Thanks joel, i had read very differing info on tank size, from 10 gallon to 6' - I have done some measurements, trying to figure out where to put it and have settled on a 5' tank

So u use a trawl net. I have heard that trapping in modified crab pots/bait traps works but mainly gets adults after spawning - bummer

Do u think that cuttlefish are likely to exist where octos do? or is this unrelated :?:

For someone who doesnt have a boat :evil: lol how would you go about collecting them? swimming off the beach (very calm) to the rocks? or going off a peer and searching there?

thanks again joel and jean!

sam

ive always wanted a reaper cuttle. if you got me one youd be my hero and ill pay for all your trouble. maybe even try to breed them. if you see one e-mail me at [email protected] . i've really always wanted one.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back