Tanks - HOW MUCH??

Jean

Colossal Squid
Registered
oscar said:
Do you collect? if so, do you actually dive down to the floor? Your reply made it sound as if you didn't but i was expecting a swim lol. Also do you know of collection methods for other cuttles - probably reaper cuttle because they occur near me!! (lucky me - they are usually bright red but also change colours quite well, though not as well as officionalis etc)

sam

Hi Sam,

Yes I collect (I work for a Marine Lab and Aquarium!). No we don't get in the water (It can be rather cold down here in southern NZ). We actually use a boat and a bottom trawl for ours :biggrin2: But I have caught them off the jetty in the manner I've described (also caught juvenile arrow squid in a similar way but that's another story..........).

As for other cuttles.............hmm I'd listen to Joel. we don't have true cuttles of that type in NZ, tis too cold. (although I think they get them occasionally up North). We mainly catch the Sepiolids and Octopus.

Whereabouts in Aus are you?

Cheers

J

oscar

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
I live in Brisbane Queensland, so it is a little warmer than the south island!
Even so there are only one species of cuttlefish (the reaper cuttlefish - sepia mestus) and sepiolids - but for the latter it is a little hot! :x

Thanks joel, i had read very differing info on tank size, from 10 gallon to 6' - I have done some measurements, trying to figure out where to put it and have settled on a 5' tank

So u use a trawl net. I have heard that trapping in modified crab pots/bait traps works but mainly gets adults after spawning - bummer

Do u think that cuttlefish are likely to exist where octos do? or is this unrelated :?:

For someone who doesnt have a boat :evil: lol how would you go about collecting them? swimming off the beach (very calm) to the rocks? or going off a peer and searching there?

thanks again joel and jean!

sam

a rabid squid

GPO
Registered
ive always wanted a reaper cuttle. if you got me one youd be my hero and ill pay for all your trouble. maybe even try to breed them. if you see one e-mail me at [email protected] . i've really always wanted one.

If you are going to catch them locally...first thing lol dont get the Giant Cuttlefish..2nd thing you probabley already know this but..STAY AWAY FROM BLUE RINGED OCTPUSSES...lol yeah..