• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Tank

Sdr128

Hatchling
Registered
Good afternoon,
I am new to the community and am looking to get a tank for a Bimac most likely. I am wondering if there are any pre built tanks suitable for a octopus such as the Bimac that would basically be a “plug and play”. I would set it up with a few fish and let the tank “mature” for atleast 3 months but probably longer. How about the Red Sea tanks? Are they capable?

Unfortunately, there is not a current commercial design that is designed for an octopus. Your main concerns will be size (55 gallon + recommended), keeping the filtration away from the octopus (usually done with a sump) and octoproofing the top (customizations required but starting with a full cover is helpful). See the Tank Buildouts thread in the Start Here section for some examples

Unfortunately, there is not a current commercial design that is designed for an octopus. Your main concerns will be size (55 gallon + recommended), keeping the filtration away from the octopus (usually done with a sump) and octoproofing the top (customizations required but starting with a full cover is helpful). See the Tank Buildouts thread in the Start Here section for some examples
How about one of the tanks from the Red Sea Max line that is atleast 55 gallons. They come with a sump underneath in the cabinet and protein skimmer. I found a company who makes custom lids and I can cover the overflow with a piece of mesh or screen. Also the lights can be adjusted via WiFi so I can have a low light on during the day and moonlight st night.

That sounds like a great start. Now, assuming you are new to saltwater, you need to do a bit of reading on how to and why you cycle a tank. The first couple of months are rather passive as long as you have started with some high quality live rock but you will still want to monitor the progress and start adding to the bioload once the initial cycle completes.

That sounds like a great start. Now, assuming you are new to saltwater, you need to do a bit of reading on how to and why you cycle a tank. The first couple of months are rather passive as long as you have started with some high quality live rock but you will still want to monitor the progress and start adding to the bioload once the initial cycle completes.
I have been reading up a bit. My plan is to add live rock and sand, do my tests until everything levels out and finishes cycling, then slowly introducing some fish one at a time. I will also do my water changes once a week. Once the tank matures I’ll move those fish into another tank and put a bimac in the matures tank. I did order the book on cephalopods: octopus and cuddle fish for home aquaria so I’ll be reading that aswell. I still have plenty to learn.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back