• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Tank Turnover for Bimac

MFish

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Having a reef, I'm used to 35x turnover for corals. I know octos don't need as much, but what is acceptable? 12x? 10x?

I need to know so I can get a pump for the wet-dry I'm building [manufactured ones are cheap and innefficient for the amount of space they take up]

Thanks
Mike

DHyslop

Architeuthis
Registered
You only need enough flow so there's not dead spots in the tank. On my 75 I have about 350 gph after head loss. I'm tempted to upgrade a bit to keep a little more detritus entrained so it makes it to the filter sock and not the tank floor.

Dan

I am doing 9-10x, but most people do less. The big thing is oxygen (skimmer + wet/dry do fine) in the water and the amount of bio-waste the filter can process.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndyR83

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak