• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Tank temperature problems

steve671

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
The temperature in my tank is consistantly 86-88 degrees. I really do not want to buy a chiller.
Are there any ocots that can handle this type of heat?
Thanks

Some of the tropical species can live in warmer water but even 88 is pushing it for a marine tank...

Have you looked at other ways to keep your tank cool? Perhaps fans or similar?

What live sin your tank now? Are there big MH lights on the tank?

There is nothing in th tank right now besides about 40 pounds of live rock and 2 inch deep live sand bed. There are also no lights on the tank yet. I had planned on adding a 65 watt power compact.

Do you know which species that are tropical?

Best idea would be to ask your LFS what species theycan get and where they come from... obviously you want a reef species...

Is there no other way you can cool your tank down? Put it somewhere cooler near A/C or something???

The only thing that I can think of is to get the pumps out of the water. That would mean replace the Rio 2500 return pump with a non submersable. And replace my euroreef skimmer with a non submersable skimmer. But then that would probably exeed the cost of a chiller.

Any idea what the highest temp a Bimac can safely live in?

Late Reply

I realize this response is rather late...
I effectively reduced and stabilized an overheated tank by installing an air-conditioner. However, the room the tank was in was rather small.

Re: Tank temperature problems

steve671 said:
The temperature in my tank is consistantly 86-88 degrees. I really do not want to buy a chiller.
Are there any ocots that can handle this type of heat?
Thanks

ummm, Mabye the AC can totally make the water much cooler if the tank is in a room and u can close the door and let the room chill up a bit.
It could work.

I had the same prob. I took a Soda cooler, drilled holes oppisite each other on the sides of the cooler, about 4" from the bottom. Attached a quick connect to the hose of my return on my canisterand connected longerhose which runs thru the cooler in a coil. Then out of the cooler and another quick connect back to the tank. I fill the cooler with alittle water, then keep frozen pop bottles in the freezer. I put three at a time in and keep the lid closed. Stays cold almost 2-1/2 days, then replace the pop bottles. Not the prettiest but my tank stays cool now. If you dont have a canister type filter, im sure there is a submersable type pump you can use in the cooler to recirculate the water and just make it loop in the tank. I hope this made sense, it has really worked great for me :biggrin2:
Oh I also put pipe insulation all the way up to the tank on the outside of the cooler were the chilled water comes out of the cooler. This keeps the water cold until it reaches the tank.Hope this helps someone :?

:roll: :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :x ya know this topic is really not a joke :?

dbbga said:
:roll: :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :x ya know this topic is really not a joke :?

Im sorry!
Do u mean my ice cubes was a joke? Well it wasn't.
Im sorry if I wasn't specific enough.
Look, mabye u can take the octopus out of your tank IF U HAVE ONE and put it in a bag or something for a few hours with saltwater in it.
Then try putting HUGE ice cubes in your tank. Put a LOT of it becuase the more ice cubes the more colder.

Im sorry if my idea sucked, but I tried to help. Iv done it b4 and it worked if u put LOADS of icecubes in your tank. It may bring down the salinity, but it cools it down a bit.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back