• Welcome to TONMO, a community of cephalopod experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts. Established in 2000, we are the founders of TONMOCON, and birthplace of World Octopus Day and Cephalopod Awareness Days. ...You can register here, and Introduce Yourself. To rid yourself of ads and enjoy other perks, become a Supporter for just $25/year. (Now accepting bitcoin & other crypto!) ...Follow us on Twitter and YouTube for more cephy goodness.
  • Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Tank setup: Am i missing anything?

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
You can pickup a TDS for about $15 on eBay. I have a similar one to this: http://cgi.ebay.com/HM-TDS-EZ-Meter...QcategoryZ20684QQtcZphotoQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem and it suits my needs just fine.

I would like to know where you have found a 5 gallon pail of Instant Ocean for $28 though. If the pricing is from a chain or on-line store, I'll switch for that price if shipping does not bring it to the $40 ish price I am now paying.

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Just a few comments:

I think 80 pounds of live rock will overwhelm a 55 gallon tank. Since you want to leave some room for your octopus to come out and play, the 1 lb per gallon ratio works better.

I'd skip the TDS meter and the phosphate tests and the hydrometer and instead get a good quality refractometer. pH is usually measured more accurately through a meter, too. I'm assuming that you'll purchase RO/DI water to mix with the salt.

I assume you're not using a sump. How about using a canister filter and a good protein skimmer - I don't think you need the SOS skimmer as well.

Often people put a powerhead in an octopus tank.

I don't think this adds cost, just rearranges it a bit.

Nancy

drakanorn

GPO
Registered
thank you all for the imput (: i switched the sos to a canister that only added about 40$ to the toatal and the extra live rock will probably go into a small tank shrip tank that my friends giving me -freebies are a wonderful thing-