• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Tank Set Up

aznt1217

Hatchling
Registered
Hello Everybody,

My name is Ted and I am new here on the Octopus forums. I am still contemplating about getting an octopus and am not quite sure what to do.

I have right now a 40 gallon breeder tank with a 15 gallon sump.

Equipment is as follows:
-Current Outer Orbit Light with 96W x 2 CFL + 1 150Watt Metal Halide
-9 Watt UV Sterilizer
-Rio Return Pump
-Aqua C Remora Skimmer w Maxi Jet 1200
-AGA Glass Top (pretty good weight and the light sits on top of it)

I would think this is enough to start an Octopus tank right?

My question is: What kind of Octopus is good to keep in this tank? Also... where can I get them. My LFS sometimes has Bali Common Octopi, but I think they need 125+ Gallons

I also have a 54 Gallon Reef Tank, that has a substantially large Aquaripure denitrator hooked up to it, so I intend on using the water I change out of that tank to put into this one.

Hello and welcome to TONMO.

You could get away with an Abdopus aculeatus in the 40. They don't grow all that large. They are sometimes referred to as "Bali" octopus. With a common name like that though, exact species is never guaranteed. The best place online to get A. aculeatus apparently went out of the livestock business though. LiveAquaria.com occasionally has them. You should check out some of the Abdopus journals and compare what you see there to what your LFS gets. Unfortunately the downside to A. aculeatus is they are usually mature adults when we get them.

Hi and welcome to the site!

Have a look at our ceph care articles (click on Articles above) for more information. I hate to plug our book, but Colin and I wrote a ceph care book, and you'll find the link to Amazon on the Tonmo home page. That has many pages devoted to the tank.

You won't need your metal halides because octopuses don't need bright lights. Also, you won't need your UV sterilizer.

This thread, a sticky at the top of Tank Tank, would be interesting for you, because people tell what equipment they have.
what do you have and how much do you have in your ceph set up

Nancy

I was actually looking at those tank threads. I don't think I'm in bad shape on the equipment end.

I know if I had a small octopus he might very well like the habitat. I'll obviously make caves and what not with the aquascaping but I have a Giant Conch Shell which Octopi in the carribean occasionally take residence in.

I will have to do more research on the species, because my LFS is full of know it alls who really... don't. I'll definitely look into the more care articles I've read about 2 different ones.

Are there any other sites to buy these guys from?

cuttlegirl;132347 said:
:welcome: Sorry about your LFS...

He could have mine:.

On a feather star I rescued from them: "That is not for sale, it is a baby crown of thorns, is deadly poisonus and has already eaten 3 expensive corals in the customer's reef we set up this week".

On octopuses: "You can't keep octopuses in an aquarium, they will immediatly ink and kill everything"

On seahorses: "Seahorses are instant death"

On a shipment of feeder shrimp: "Sorry, we cut the air off at night and it looks like the shipment got too hot".

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back