• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

tank questions

hammy

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
i went to petco.com and decided to check out that build your own aquarium thing and chose a 46gal bow tank with a cherry wood frame and i am wondering about the hood. (its and added $100) is it really necessary???
also i would like to know if this tank would be suitable for 1 or 2 cuttlefish (probably common)

Sepia bandensis dwarf cuttles yes. Maybe as many as 3.

As for the hood, that's your choice. I don't believe cuttles are prone to jumping out like some fish. It does cut down on evaporation though.

If you're worried about spending $100 for a hood you might reconsider this venture. I spent well over that each month feeding two juvenile dwarf cuttlefish.

for my tank, that is in the works, i am going to go open top, no hood. the main reason for this is that if you intend on keeping corals in the future, then you will need to invest in lighting that would be sufficient. when you spend the money on the hood you would be basically throwing it away because you wont use the light that comes with, if it is the generic plastic hood. if it is glass you might use it but it can filter some of the light that you just paid to have, see what i mean. also you can use the 100 towards some equipment that you will have to purchase to successfully keep cuttles.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back