• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Tank Maintenance

corw314

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
I have often over the years spoke about how important it is to know your octopus, as knowing what is normal and what is not can save their lives if you pay attention. I use Eiheims on my tanks and sometimes with the bustle of life I overlook maintaining until I notice an unusual behavior and realize I have not made the time for maintenance. Biddle started hanging at the top of the waterline yesterday morning. I came home early from work, noticed an odor coming from the tank so I did a 1/2 water change, plus maintenance on the filters. Apparently he had not eaten fully a piece of scallop which I had missed and this was the source of the smell. While cleaning the tank I found hundreds of worms some 3" long. Quite a colony going on in there. By the end of the night, he was back in his normal spot rearranging the chaos I had created from cleaning. Interesting, while I was working on the tank, he stayed in plain sight, watching me, bright red which is his angry coloration, as I guess he was mad at me invading his tank, but not once did he ink, or come after me. I think he knew I was helping him. And we octoproofed the large bubble filter with wire ties. I will post a pic later.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back