• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Tank is operational!!

I am thinking after the 1st of the year i will order my cuttle eggs if everything goes as planned. I have very little experience with ordering online and having live goods shipped to my door. I hope all goes well, I wanted to order froms sachs to get some experience before the time came when i really needed food, i was going to order some Amphipods for the refugium, but i never got around to it. Also was going to get shore shrimp since they are reef safe and put a couple in the tank now... But i talked myself out of that too.

Something you might enjoy experimenting with while you are cycling is obtaining two or three peppermint shrimp (or catching :roll: the one you have and getting two more) and putting them into a breeder net. My experiment with this did really well to produce tiny food (putting three in the net seemed to produce more frequent spawning than just two) and they spawned about every two weeks. Paul has mentioned that you can't count on when or if they will spawn for a regular supply of food but as an additional food source this might work well for the cuttles. I never knew if any of my octo hatchlings ate them but I do know they were available to them. Ultimately, one escaped and became adept at not being caught (by me or the octos) and the other two just "disappeared" one day (about the time Tatanka was big enough to find them tasty).

Tank is doing great, added more corals and inverts to it today, as one of the main LFS i go to had a new years eve sale! Quick question, does adding trace elements for corals and reefs with cuttles or octopus harm the cephs?

Today i woke up to a algae covered tank. Everything in it looked on its death bed... I checked water parameters and everything was fine as it has been. I have no idea why this is happening, but i ordered eggs from a LFS in Texas, and im going o have to cancel the order. I dont want to spend them money to have them come to a guaranteed death... Wish me luck in the passing days, im hoping everything fairs well. Very discouraging. :frown:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back