• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Tank is operational!!

Bought 20 Hermit crabs, 2 emerald crabs, 2 peppermint shrimp, and 4 big atlantic zebra snails for the algae problem that comes with every cycle. It was here for about a week now, but it was starting to get out of control without the help of some clean up crew. I had about 2 astrea snails in there before i bought these along with about 10 hermits. Soon will the reef upstairs be tore down, and everything will hopefully survive the transfer that i dont frag out to LFS. Wish me luck! Maybe starting today, or Thursday!

How much rock do you think should be used for a Ceph tank? I dont want to put a bunch in the tank becuase id like to see them more. I understand that could stress them the less places for them to hide, but im going to house cuttles more than octos i think in the long run(I hope). I will update pics soon to show you whats in there now..

Skimmer

Attachments

• conv_297568.jpg
    conv_297568.jpg
    704.7 KB · Views: 130
Tank. The rock work is in no design really yet. I havent made up my mind on how to set it up. And ive never been very good at it. I really like The Cuttle Army Tank design by Paradox but i only have 18 inches of depth to work with so building big columns with ledges and overhangs i really cant do much of that. And i know Cuttles will be more active, but i want to see them interacting.

Attachments

• conv_297569.jpg
    conv_297569.jpg
    703.3 KB · Views: 162
  • conv_297570.jpg
    conv_297570.jpg
    692.9 KB · Views: 161
  • conv_297571.jpg
    conv_297571.jpg
    542.6 KB · Views: 204
Does the "skimmer" post in #63 mean you have it operational (and have shut down power to the tank to be sure you are not going to have water on the floor during a power outage)?

For an octopus, you would need to provide additional denning places (as well as better securing the balanced bridges). I can't speak to cuttle needs but they don't den like octopuses and adding some macro algae may provide enough cover to keep them happy (hopefully Cuttlegirl, Thales or some of out other cuttle keepers will provide a stronger recommendation).

Skimmer is operational as well :smile:!!!! And is already skimming very well, a thick heavy froth. Dirty tank especially now after i took everything i wanted from the reef tank and put in this tank. PICS

Acclimation of my Green Pizza Anemone, Fully open he is the size of a dinner plate if not bigger. The other pic is of some of the tank, middle section.

Attachments

• conv_297580.jpg
    conv_297580.jpg
    768.1 KB · Views: 87
  • conv_297579.jpg
    conv_297579.jpg
    513 KB · Views: 169
  • conv_297578.jpg
    conv_297578.jpg
    492.7 KB · Views: 118
The leather is awesome its hard to see but i have about 3 other little frags off of him the size of your thumb, in the tank as well, along with about 6 frags of Xenia, and leather in the refugium. Cabbage and finger leather. It grows like crazy! I keep fragging off the mother piece. I have some green finger leather too although it is hard to see in these pics. The pics are taken with my iphone:frown: SO i cant compete with you guys at pics. The pizza moved right where i didnt want him to move last night!!! UGH!!! The only thing i dont like about anemones! But i will just work around him i guess.

Joe-ceph, as to your question yes the heater will be in the sump soon. I have a titanium one for the reef upstairs that im going to rob it of and put in here its just temporary for now:smile:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back