• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Tank choices...help would GREATLY appreciated

mattyice

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Well im getting ready to get a cuttlefish tank started up and cycling...i have quite a bitch of dried premium cherry picked LR from Marco Rocks left over from when i was going to setup a different tank. After reading some care information it seems that cuttlefish (Sepia Bandensis specficially) prefer a deeper tank...taking that into account i have a few choices and most of the stuff left over to make a few of those tanks work out...i have a 33G cube that is drilled for an overflow, a 30G breeder, or a 125G RR AGA just sitting in my office...So here is my plan with each one of those tanks

30G Cube - im guessing a male female pair could really be the max for this tank and then use the 30 Breeder as the rearing tank for the babies to better the community and to preserve the wild population, the main display tank would also be a small reef setup with mostly softies and maybe a few LPS (acan's most likely it LPS wise)

30B - i am taking it this is a bad tank for adults but i could easily divide it up and raise eggs and babies in it for research and for selling in the community...would a great tank for raising food as well

125G RR - if i setup this tank i would definitely think it would be large enough for a group to live in peace and see close to what their behavior is like in a group setting...the rock i have will setup an awesome dramatic rockscape with overhangs and tunnels and bridges...the 30B would be tied into the system as a rearing tank/food rearing tank as well as a 29G for the sump and fuge

which choice would be best? i do have quite a bit of experience in predatory marine animals that create a lot of waste (i have had 4 mantis shrimp and a Goldenback trigger along when the 125G was a large reef tank) and as i stated with reef tanks as well so im ready to get started in cuttlefish...after i get some more validating information from the experienced members on here the tank will be setup and start cycling immediately

Animal Mother;124970 said:
Use the 125. You will be able to keep a few, increasing your chances of having pairs. The 30 gallons are too small, use them for food/rearing.

good thing i just found about 110 lbs of my Marco rock, 3 big pumps, a protein skimmer, my MH retrofit, a big bucket of salt, and a few other things from when the tank was setup :lol:

BTW nice quote in your sig :biggrin2:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back