Taningia

GPO87

Sepia elegans
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
A genus that hardly needs introduction, Taningia are deep ocean squid who (like others in this family) have lost their tentacles in adulthood. Commonly known as the Dana Octopus Squid. They have lidded photophores at the end of arm 2. They can grow quite large (approx. 1.7 m mantle length).

T. danae

Info at:
Taningia danae

Attachments

• conv_305176.jpg
    conv_305176.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 276
The cephalopod Taningia danae Joubin, 1931 observed near bottom at over 2,000 m depth on Seine seamount 2014 José Nuno Gomes-Pereira, Inês Tojeira

Abstract
We report the first in situ observations of a large Taningia danae Joubin, 1931, close to the seafloor at bathyal depths of 2,157 m. The observation was made in the subtropical northeast Atlantic Seine seamount during daytime on 29 September 2012, over a silt-covered seafloor (33º40.1142′N, 14º22.7301′W). Seawater temperature was 4.2 ºC, salinity 35.40 ppt, oxygen saturation 50.87 Ox%, and pressure 2,178.29 dbar. Mantle length was estimated from imagery to be 65.3 cm (STD = 6.3). A repeated behaviour was observed every time the ROV approached: (1) swimming away from the ROV by flapping the fins twice (moving forward or backward), (2) gliding slightly inclined downward, until colliding against the seafloor, and (3) ascending obliquely or vertically in relation to the seafloor, finally evading the area moving upward using jet propulsion. These observations greatly extend the species depth range and document behaviour patterns. T. danae is able to explore beyond the mesopelagic zone where it has previously been reported.

here's one of NOAA's great interactions with one, this clip is from 2015 (and the squid is misidentified as an idioteuthis)

also ROV Lu'ukai briefly saw one in september of 2021. took me forever to scrub through the stream to find it, so let's see if i can attach the clip here:

oh wait no one's posted this here???? i've gotta post the absolutely wildest video of taningia i've ever seen - one being pursued by a female elephant seal, recorded by a camera mounted to the seal's head. it's absolutely unbelievable

the paper itself is a really fascinating read, too:

ocean census got buzzed by one during their recent cruise to survey the bounty trough:

footage this framegrab is from has now been uploaded as part of the most recent ocean census highlight video from the bounty trough expedition. offset is 53 seconds

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back