• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

talked LFS out of Zebra octo

sedna

Architeuthis
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
The guys at my LFS were all excited last week because they had a zebra octopus listed as available on their supplier's list. They had been waiting for me to come in because they wanted me to buy it, they even told me that if I bought it they'd sell it to me at their wholesale price because I'm a regular and they just plain wanted to see one but none of them want to keep one. I told them "thanks but no thanks," that they don't ship well and their numbers are uncertain in the wild.

It was tempting, though, with my current octo brooding (are zebra's small or large egged...) and flattering that they'd only get one in for me (unless they've got me pegged for crazy enough to spend the $$). It's hard not to think, "Some one else is going to take it anyway, might as well be someone as responsible as me..."

Nicely done!

Zebra generally refers to wunderpus. I have seen the same animal on the wholesale lists, but have been unable to get any information on it.

nicely done, I did the same thing with an lfs that was going to get 3 flamboyants and some other cuttle that I'd never heard of that grew to 24 inches!!! as well as nautiluses. He was very easy to talk out of it and very well natured about it:smile:

Unfortunately I ran into a similar situation here locally but the LFS had already purchased the "zebra" octo. As if that were not bad enough they had it housed in a 30br with 2 or 3 small pieces of live rock.

The octo was probably about a foot long tip to tip. I tried to discourage any future purchases of this kind and to atleast move it into a larger tank, but they were not very receptive.

The poor guy did not look the best.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back