Taking 'blood' from a squid...

bathypol

Wonderpus
Registered
This may sound like a bit of an odd question, but has anyone taken hemocyanin samples from squid before? Where is the best place to take the sample (arm? mantle muscle? heart directly?) Can you get anything from thawed individuals?

I'm heading out sampling soon and was thinking of getting as much data as I could.

Cheers :smile:

I've never tried, maybe from freshly dead? You'd need to be very familiar with the circulatory system, but I would imagine one of the hearts or the Vena cava would be your best bet. What are you looking at?

J

Thanks for the help Jean :smile:

I'm looking at Gonatus fabricii for stable isotope and fatty acid analysis. Since I'll be sampling them anyways, my supervisor thought taking some blood samples for protein work might be useful too.

Are you going to be able to post any of your results. I have been trying to mark and save some of the components of bodily parts to then look at which foods (or skins aka, shrimp shell possibly) would provide proper natural "supplements" to the diet.

The blood will be going to another scientist (if I can figure out how to get it) but I should be publishing the results once I sample some more. I have a few results, but they're only preliminary....I'll definitely let you know when I have something more conclusive :smile:

I'd think Taollan is about the most up on the current physiology and metabolism researchers of anyone on TONMO, but the most likely candidate I can think of to have a direct answer would be Dr. Gilly or one of his students http://gilly.stanford.edu/home.html

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back