Syd Barrett has died

tonmo

Cthulhu
Staff member
Webmaster
Oh, and here's another great water reference that within the past month or so I told my wife was one of my favorite Syd lyrics, from a song called "She Took A Long Cold Look":
I'm looking high up into the sky
I breathe as the water streams over me...

tonmo

Cthulhu
Staff member
Webmaster
...and here's an interesting review from someone on Rhapsody about a couple of the songs mentioned in this thread...

Scientists have theorized that there are thousands of tiny black holes throughout our solar system, each leading to a fifth, invisible dimension. If you listen closely to Syd Barrett's "Opel," you can hear a dispatch from this realm. His phrasing is trembling and his tempos slushy as he recounts the story of "a bare winding carcass" stranded "on a far distant shore." Recorded a year before the first official moonwalk, "Octopus" almost borders on gleeful before it becomes a litany of discordant imagery. Barrett's work is mainly nonsense, but themes of desolation and confusion do emerge, making this surprisingly universal.

- Sam Chennault
I only disagree with his claim that it's "maily nonsense". Keep listening!

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Registered
tonmo said:
...and here's an interesting review from someone on Rhapsody about a couple of the songs mentioned in this thread...

I only disagree with his claim that it's "maily nonsense". Keep listening!

Dude, I was, like, listening to Floyd, and I like, suddenly, understood the whole universe, and I was like "wow, man, black holes," and then I was like "hey, dude, are there any more of those cheetos," but then when I woke up in the morning, I couldn't remember it well enough to send Stephen Hawking a letter explaining it, so I like, put it on the internet.

Or, in other words, I think any association with black holes is way more nonsensical than the lyrics in the first place. But maybe I'm just not tuned in to the cosmic vibe.

edit: this seems to be what dude is talking about, but I still don't see how it relates to the song.

Don't be mistaken...I'm a huge Syd Barrett fan and not a hippie. I don't normally write about rock n' roll (I'm rhapsody's R&B and hip-hop guy) but I was reading about black holes a week before he died and was inspired. The whole lost light/ 5th dimensional presence thing seemed like an appropriate metaphor considering Syd's invisible influence over music of the past thirty years. Definitely agree with everyone here.

This is a cool web site...and sorry to swoop in like this to defend my syd fandom.

sam

tonmo

Cthulhu
Staff member
Webmaster
Heh, that's cool! How about that Internet... stuff gets around!

Well I definitely appreciate your clarification. Anyone who appreciates Syd's "invisible influence" is a friend of mine!

Sorry for branding you as a non-fan; obviously not fair... thanks for the response!

jc45

GPO
Registered
tonmo said:
Syd Barrett died on Friday

RIP Syd! :angel:

Wish You Were Here

So, so you think you can tell Heaven from Hell,
blue skies from pain.
Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
A smile from a veil?
Do you think you can tell?
And did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts?
Hot ashes for trees?
Hot air for a cool breeze?
Cold comfort for change?
And did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?
How I wish, how I wish you were here.
We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year,
Running over the same old ground.
What have we found? The same old fears.
Wish you were here. :cry:

On a happier note, though: If you like Pink Floyd, Roger Waters is playing the full "Dark Side of the Moon" album at the Tweeter Center in Mansfield, MA!
:band:

Joey