• You are viewing our Exotics and Rare Species forum. Please review our Forum Guidelines and Cephalopod Care Ethics Statement to ensure you are appraised of the dangers and considerations related to pursuing exotics and rare species as an aquarist. Threads in this forum are not featured on our homepage.
  • Welcome to TONMO, a community of cephalopod experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts. Established in 2000, we are the founders of TONMOCON, and birthplace of World Octopus Day and Cephalopod Awareness Days. ...You can register here, and Introduce Yourself. To rid yourself of ads and enjoy other perks, become a Supporter for just $50/year. (Now accepting bitcoin & other crytpo!) ...Follow us on Twitter and YouTube for more cephy goodness.

Surprise! It's a Mimic!

It's been a bit since I last posted as things have gotten incredibly busy of late but she is still doing great! I am contemplating a wholescale change to her environment by siphoning out the gravel and replacing it with some oolitic sand to be more similar in texture to her native mudflats and also thinking about removing the rock as she doesn't seem to care for any sort of hiding places. I may also rearrange them along the back wall instead so that there is more open space or perhaps will cut them so that I can fit some into the sides of the system itself. Also thinking about a possible move to a tub but pretty sure that would be disastrous in terms of her escaping... maybe a 40 breeder with a lid instead.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Scary to contemplate changing anything since she seems to be doing so well. No clue on what is better or worse so watching with interest!

It has been awhile since I posted and things seem to be winding down for her. I did not make any changes to the tank as her appetite has begun fading over the past couple of weeks. She still eats but only every couple of days it seems. She stays with her non exciting whitish beige coloration majority of the time and doesn’t exhibit her stripes. When she gets angry she simply turns black. I have not seen any eggs but a, keeping en eye out on her (they carry their eggs instead of laying them in a cave). Will try to post some but a little sad that she is beginning to fade. She still seems overall pretty healthy but again, I recognize the change in coloration and behavior as signs of senescence so might be counting the weeks or days at this point. Whatever happens, it has been a pretty awesome journey - glad you were all able to tag along!

Whatever happens, you will have all these amazing videos and photos to cherish...You were so lucky to find her, and we were very lucky to share this journey with you through yours posts

She is still hanging on but not really eating. I do know that she has eaten here and there but nothing like before. Here's a couple of videos from 2 weeks ago and then photos of her from last week. She is still reactive at times and when I go down in the middle of the night when lights are out she moves around a bit more and has some better color but I think it's down to days now.

Well, tonight she looked a little better but is still not eating. She seems to have scaled back a bit on some of the twisting of her arms that she was doing and she went hunting around a bit but did not eat any of the crabs she came across. Her behavior is actually quite different than before so I still think senescence is upon her (hunting across Rick's in light which I have not really seen before). I am still finding empty crab shells so chances are she does eat here and there but not like before. I did discover that the sharks in the attached tank knocked something loose during feeding tonight which caused all of the bubbles but fixed it and it does not seem to bother her. Still no sign of eggs which I would expect to see regardless of the lack of any males in the tank with her.

Tomh

GPO
Sponsor
So beaytiful, your lucky to experienced one!! I have yet to find one!!! Always wonderpus!

Latest Posts