Sunday Comics

Melissa said:
Aside from octopobbles, Pogo had a great deal of political subtext, and could be in the propaganda thread if the reader was up on the news contemporary to the strips. Strom Thurmond might be the only one in the comics whom readers today might remember.

Melissa,

Thanks much for providing some "Pogo" background. Fidel Castro did make an appearance, and he might be the last of Kelly's targets still standing. Please do let me know if you come acrost the octopobble, but watch out for ol' Champeen Hoss Head.

Porkypine

Well, this is a Sunday Cartoon, not a comic, but the new episode of The Simpsons had a premise in which Homer builds a suit of armor to fight a bear that attacked him, when Marge objects, Homer sneaks out the next morning with Bart, when Lisa and Marge realize they're gone, they check the "Suit Closet", one of the contents being a: Contry Music Octopus, they then find the bear suit gone, and Marge gets ready to go, but turns around to find that Lisa has donned on the CMO outfit, "Just to see what it was like". Lisa then can't help but get into character by saying "Howdy Y'all! If ya don't like my song, I'm gonna spray you with ink!"

Here are some frames from Pogo featuring the octopoggle. Albert the Alligator emerging from the swamp with an octopus on his head

Octopots01.jpg

and then recognizes how fortunate he is,

Octopus03.jpg

even encouraging jealousy.

Octopus04.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back