• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Sump size

@Dwight, it is unlikely that you will find O. bimaculoides (AKA bimac) for sale. They are most commonly found off the coast of CA where it is illegal to sell them live. There have been a few keepers that have caught their own (legal), an occasional animal caught and given to a member without charge, and a few science projects that have had offspring born in the tanks that needed a home but generally speaking they are not available. Additionally, you would need a chiller to keep one successfully. They can survive in a 72 degree tank but mid 60's is ideal.

The animals that @sirreal may have access to (ie Caribbean octopuses) will be warm water animals that will not need a chiller and are legal to collect for live sale (with proper licensing). O. briareus and O mercatoris (dwarf) are occasionally found in pet stores. Alternately, you may find a pet store or on-line offering for animals found in the Philippines (often in the Abdopus complex, frequently identifies as aculeatus).

Here is a collection of links, Posts with Info for New Octo Keepers that includes a link to my Box of Chocolates summary of all the commonly kept animals. The list should give you an idea of what animals MAY be available but be prepared to keep any that show up.

Okay, thank you for the info. I have been looking around for different species and one of the caught my eye. It is the Hawaiian day octopus. Is that species easier to find?

No, O. cyanea is not often (if ever commercially) available. They are both Hawaiian and Indonesian but we don't see them in the aquarium trade. They become quite large and are prone to roaming, thus better suited to a very large public aquarium. The list of octopuses in the Box of Chocolates thread linked above gives you a pretty good idea of the animals you may be able to find and cautions about expecting to find a specific species.

I read the box of chocolates link and they have some cool species there. They mentioned a species called octopus hummelincki. They said most people mistaken it for a bimac octopus and is easier to find

This is a more reasonable thought and a great animal for the aquarium but we have seen very few O. hummelincki since the 2010 earthquake in Haiti (the most common source) but I am hopeful that we will start seeing more of them as a couple have been available this year.

Spring is usually the best time to find a young Caribbean animal but "best" does not mean easy. Octopuses are still considered exotic (as well as hard to house in an LSF temporary holding facility) and are not easy to source.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back