• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Sump question...

Iv noticed that sumps are more preffured to keeping an octopus simply because of its curiosity. I dont ever want one getting caught in a filter/skimmer...ect. So, when setting up a sump, all the equipment is connected with the sump instead of the tank and runs the tank right? Is there filters AND skimmers that manually set up for a sump...or can any type of filter or skimmer be connected to a sump and control the main tank? This goes for hydrometers, thermometers and any other maintanence in keeping them alive and monitered.

Well, the sump acts as a 2nd tank in effect, so you can use any type of equipment you want, as long as it doesn't overheat the water...which leads to one of the best things about a sumped tank, you can put a small fan to blow on it, and cool down the water !!!
For octos, it is the way to go.

greg

cthulhu77 said:
Well, the sump acts as a 2nd tank in effect, so you can use any type of equipment you want, as long as it doesn't overheat the water...which leads to one of the best things about a sumped tank, you can put a small fan to blow on it, and cool down the water !!!
For octos, it is the way to go.

greg

Unles you have a system connected to the sea like we have :twisted:

But seriously we do in fact have a sump type arrangement (on a large scale mind!) cos there's alway the risk of a shipping accident in the Harbour (we're across from a container and logging terminal) all our seawater is pumped into large holding tanks then to sand filters etc. In the event of an oil spill we'd turn off the pumps and recirc the water, then our two large display ponds become a reservoir. the nice cold southerlies from antarctica act as a fan!!!! Not that it gets that warm here!!!!

then we break out the detergent etc and wait for an influx of birds as we're the collecting area for oiled critters........touch wood this has never yet happened!

J

Well Jean, your very lucky. I live near the shore as well...but the east coast shore. Very bad beaches. I mean, the boadrwalks are beautiful as well as the sand...but the water is never as nice as other places. It's always greenish, or light brown. Its so polluted on the east coast, I hate it.

But I dont live close enough to the ocean to have any connections, lol. I live like 10 minutes away. There's an aquarium right on the boardwalk at my beach...and they have an albino Alligator. Its 1 of only 10 IN THE WHOLE WORLD!!! Lol. Cool huh? No octopuses though. Last time I checked, they kept a small Octopus Vulgaris with a sea anenomie stuck to the bottom. No wonder why it may have died. I dont think too many aquariums around here know how to properly care for it.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back