• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Sump pumps aren't equalizing

chad

Cuttlefish
Registered
Hello, good afternoon. I've got my intake tube, going into my sump from the display, attached to this pump and my outlet pump going into the display from the sump attached to the exact same pump. I have been messing with them for about two days now and i cant seem to get them to equalize, either the water level in the return section of my sump is going up, and after messing with it it will be going down but never stays the same. Any help on how to manage this issue? I am using vinyl tubing and both tubes are kink free and the sump is 30 gallons, and an original three section sump. I originally thought that gravity was assisting the intake tube and adjusted accordingly but that seems not to be the case. Again, any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Chad

Interesting overflow DIY box. Be sure you pay attention to his comments about where to place the holes and tubing. Losing siphon is the biggest problem with all overflow boxes and his suggestions will help minimize the problems. The alternative, and my definite choice, is to have the tank drilled and use bulkheads for the tubing.

Chad, are you sure your tank is tempered glass? MOST tanks only have tempered glass on the bottom but you would need to be sure before touching it with a drill.

At the bottom of the tank there is a sticker that warns to not drill, tempered glass. Now that you say the bottom is mostly only tempered glass, that sticker may only be to warn the user not to drill the bottom. I'll have to look for signs of tempered glass further on the tank when I get home

Chad

I am in the process of working this out myself. I bought a 40 gallon breeder and weighed options between overflow box and drilling. (Only the bottom was tempered.) I decided after talking to some friends at my LFS to pay them to drill it, as they were familiar with it. Haha. They cracked it. But at least they replaced it and in short order I had a drilled tank with a corner box from Glassholes (They had a used one in the shop they gave me for cracking the tank). I'm building my own return line up from the sump. I also have set a goal of not spending more than $50 a month on its construction, so it's been an excercise in patience and resourcefulness, but at least its forced me to take my time and really plan what I'm doing.

Siphon overflows are asking for trouble. In the medium and long run drilling a tank is really the way to go for piece of mind. A glass tank should not be made of tempered glass on the sides, that would be really weird.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back