• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Sump Idea

LNell

Hatchling
Registered
I was thinking that I could make my own sump very simply by having a siphon to the sump and a pump to return the water to the tank. In the sump, the water would first go through a coarse filter and then through some carbon. After that, it would go to a chamber with live rock, or bioballs and then the live rock plus a protein skimmer. Would this simple and cost-effective idea work? Any ideas are appreciated.

Well, that would work if you could match the siphon going down to the pump going up, but sadly, it's not possible. Water just will not flow the same speed all the time. Youd need an overflow box that could take water out faster than the pump could put it in. That way, water is going into the overflow box and down to the sump(and goes through the purification). Then the pump pumps the water back up. But because the water can only go down as fast as it can come up, youre fine. :smile:

Oh and :welcome:!

How do they work?

How do overflows work? Would I have to drill any holes in my tank? Also, couldn't I adjust the flow if I had a ball valve? I have seen overflows for sale but they seem like they'd intrude too much into the tank opening making it difficult to keep the lid sealed. Thanks for any replies.

Re: How do they work?

Great overflow explaining.

LNell said:
Also, couldn't I adjust the flow if I had a ball valve?

Yes you could, but it would never match the pump speed exactly so if you didnt adjust it everyday, a big flood would occur.

LNell said:
Would I have to drill any holes in my tank?

Not if you get an overflow box.

LNell said:
I have seen overflows for sale but they seem like they'd intrude too much into the tank opening making it difficult to keep the lid sealed.

They do take up some space in the tank, but not as much as having it drilled would.

Really? I thought the siphon always matched up with the pump (I bought a kit, so I could be full of @^$%). When the pump pumps more water than the siphon can handle, more water is getting higher, making the siphon siphon more water into the sump. As this is happening, the water ends up getting lower, and the siphon siphons less, letting the pump make the water level higher again. It's kind of like a cycle. Did I explain this correctly?
Oh, and Welcome! :welcome:

lotus101 said:
Really? I thought the siphon always matched up with the pump (I bought a kit, so I could be full of @^$%). When the pump pumps more water than the siphon can handle, more water is getting higher, making the siphon siphon more water into the sump. As this is happening, the water ends up getting lower, and the siphon siphons less, letting the pump make the water level higher again. It's kind of like a cycle. Did I explain this correctly?
Oh, and Welcome! :welcome:

Doesnt work like that. More water just CANT go through unless the hose gets bigger, and in doing that, the pump would have to pump more. It doesnt work. Also, I didnt mention this, but if the power goes out, the siphon will keep on working, thus overflowing your sump(but even it it doesnt it will suck until losing suction and then if the power comes back on the pump will overflow the tank (also, youd have to reprime it(which is not easy))).

Yah, it's an overflow. I thought that's what you meant.
So you're just talking about a siphon tube just going directly to the sump? I have to agree with you there then.

Its not my siphon one that doesnt work its my "hole in the wall" one. and the only reason it doesnt work is becasue i miscalculated the math and the hole is a little too small so all I'll have to do is throttle the pump on down. I think some senior members need to chime in on the overflow Q's because the siphon ones and hole in the wall ones both are functional if set up properly and do not need costant adjustment.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back