Suggestions/review of tank equuipment

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Welcome to the world of saltwater aquariums. You have pretty well hit the nail on the head when you say there is a lot of reading and it is initially overwhelming. It is a true hobby and like any hobby has a lot of levels but the getting started part does not really allow for many short cuts and often results in a lot of failure (so common that you can google New Tank Syndrome and get a definition). You just can't have a beautiful tank that someone sets up for you and simply enjoy it. I like to recommend getting coach for people new to a marine environment. If you have a friend that has kept saltwater (not freshwater because there is very little that is similar) this would be the ideal candidate. A good LFS is a second choice but finding someone who can take the time with you and watch your tank is often not viable and often a conflict of interest with their need to make a sale. There is a growing industry of young enthusiasts that will (for a fee) come and clean and monitor home tanks. If something like this is in the budget, it can be a good way to get started and learn with hands on but with someone controlling the startup.

Pennyworth

Wonderpus
Registered
I want an octopus, but honestly the tank setup stuff is not that interesting to me (or not yet). So if I can have someone set it up and tell me what I do to maintain the tank, then I'm happy with that.

I live in NYC, but have no friends with aquariums here or in a position to help, so trying to set it up by myself.

At the moment, I just want to set up the tank to start cycling.

The unit I linked to above seems fine...if I get this unit and set it up or have someone set it up and start the cycling for 3 months...aside from testing water levels and making everything going smoothly, is there anything else I would have to look out for?

My plan at the moment is to buy a unit like the one above or similar equipment
clean tank
fill with appropriate water and live rock'
And then essentially wait 3 months, testing and monitoring levels and do whatever else I might need to do to cycle.

Have I missed anything?

Last edited:

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Unfortunately, it is not that simple to create a marine habitat and octopuses are more demanding than most fish. Your initial cycle will show no ammonia or nitrites at about one month, then you will need to continue to build bacteria to handle the waste of a messy animal. Octopuses are not a good choice for beginning hobbyists and we recommend keeping a tank for a year before introducing delicate animals.

Pennyworth

Wonderpus
Registered
I've found someone I'm going to pay to set everything up, which should make things easier...

Can probably pay him for future stuff if I need to.

Does the CPY unit linked above have any real downsides for a 56 gallon tank?

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
I would suggest looking for reviews of the CPR unit to see what actual users comment.

Latest Posts