SueNami - O. briareus

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
SueNami seems to be making another of his slow steps toward socialization. We are seeing him out more often, he is more actively hunting even the dead food (I think feeding the live shrimp has helped) and allowed me to reach past his blind spot and gently pet him between the eyes for maybe 30 seconds. When he decided that was enough he slowly slid down into his rocks but there was no panic and he did not go to the "leave me alone" side of the tank.

We fed the next to last live shrimp last night and SunNami successfully used a different technique to catch the swimming food. I ran to get the camera and got a quick video of the catch.

Edit: video uploaded to Youtube and reposted.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Tubing, Octo style

A couple of shots showing SueNami crossing from one side of the tank to the other.

Attachments

• conv_294395.jpg
    conv_294395.jpg
    7.3 MB · Views: 91
  • conv_294396.jpg
    conv_294396.jpg
    6.9 MB · Views: 100
  • conv_294397.jpg
    conv_294397.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 115

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Sucker Shedding

SueNami sheds his sucker lining several times a week, far more than the hummelincki or mercatrois. Today I happened to see him in the process (usually he is fully behind the LR and all we see is floating skin disks) and was surprised to see that he uses the LR to scrap off the dead skin. I could see individual suckers rubbing on the LR to remove the disks. Very cool. I grabbed the camera but he noticed my presence and move his arm out of view.:hmm:

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
That one was a real find (eBay and within an hour from home). I can't remember if we decided it was 55 or 60 gallons. We converted the existing 35 to a sump so there is lots of water in that corner :wink:. It was a freshwater setup so there was major DIY effort to convert it (in addition to major hood changes because of terrible design) but it is my favorite. You can see the build out here :tongue:

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Other than we have upset his sense of timing by leaving the lights on in the room at odd hours, he seems fine. We have been working on the new tank and the only light we had up for a couple of days was too small (both wattage and size) so I left it on 24/7 for the polyps and macro on the new rock. He has been skiddish and not come out for his normal dancing so I am keeping my fingers crossed we are just looking at a typical male whos routine has been disrupted :sagrin:

Last edited:

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
I took some photos for POTM but the lights had gone out by the time I saw Sam's bump reminder and the coral part of the photos was better served by some daylight ones I had already taken so I am posting a couple of the fruits of my labor here instead :razz:

Attachments

• conv_294495.jpg
    conv_294495.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 107
  • conv_294496.jpg
    conv_294496.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 85
  • conv_294497.jpg
    conv_294497.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 100
  • conv_294498.jpg
    conv_294498.jpg