• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Substrate question for all you ceph keepers

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Hi everyone,
I've been curious what kind of substate you have. Please tell us

-what kind of substrate (fine sand, coarse sand, gravel, etc.)?
-if sand, is it aragonite sand?
-did you use live sand in setting up your tank?
-how deep is your sandbed?

Do you have shells, marbles or anything else in addition to live rock?

Thanks,
Nancy

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Let me start:

I have a fine sand substrate.

Later I replaced some of this with a similar aragonite sand.

I used dry sand when the tank was set up - any later replacements were live aragonite sand.

My sandbed is 1" - 1 1/2" deep.

I have small shells and may add some larger ones.

Nancy

I'll go next:

I have fine sand.

It's live aragonite sand.

It has small shells that were mixed in with the sand in the bag, and a few larger ones that were also mixed.

I always had turbo snail shells with my bimac, Blinky, for her to use as a door.

I did have marbles, but she never showed any interest, so I removed them.

My current ceph tank sand is 1" - 1 1/2".

Brock

I have fine sand (but not sugar-sized). It was not live when I purchased it I just let the LR seed it. Sand bed is 1-1.5 inches. I keep anything that falls off the rock in the sand (small muscles, hitchhiker snails, etc.). I also keep all dead snail shells in the tank too. I don't like things that look unnatural, so I don't have any marbles, colored stones, etc. I believe the sand is aragonite.

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
did anyone find a difference at all in comparing live sand to just normal 'dead' sand?

Domboski

O. vulgaris
Registered
I have a mixture of fine sand and semi-course sand.

I used live sand to start the tank.

My sandbed is 3-4" deep.

I used to have alot of shells but removed them as I felt they were contributing to poor water quality (I seemed to be right). I do have some small shells but more scattered pieces of live rock rubble. I have alot of gorgonians and leather corals in the tank as well. My live rock is very pourous and my current Octo is able to have three different entrances to a den inside one piece of live rock.

Thales

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Colin;105872 said:
did anyone find a difference at all in comparing live sand to just normal 'dead' sand?

None at all - except for price. :biggrin2:

In the main system I have aragonite. It two of the smaller tanks I have carib sea mineral mud. The cuttles seem to like the mineral mud more than the sand. In the baby tank I have very fine aragonite right now.

I use fine aragonite. I am thnking of adding black sand or mineral mud in my juvenile cuttle grow out tank. Right now that also has fine aragonite and babies are mainly white.

I use sand from my previous setup, so it is 'live'. The bagged live sand does not have any real benefits over normal sand.
I do not add shells or marbles, but then again, I keep cuttles not Octos. I also like to keep it looking like real reef setting.

My sand bed is 2-3 inches.

Thales

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Hijack alert! There is often sand near corals in a real reef setting. I think the idea of a natural looking tank with sand isn't that it actually looks more natural, rather it is what we have come to expect to see at the bottom of aquariums. :biggrin2:

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
yeah, i think it looks nicer too :smile:

My own personal preference is actually, play sand mixed with coral gravel and some larger bits of gravel through it so that it isnt all one grade. The aragonite is really just to buffer the water. My current marine tank is just 100% coral sand of about sugar grade and its a bit too bland for my liking.

I very rarely have the depth over 1 - 2cm though as its easier to clean. I have also found that cuttles seem happier to bury themselves in playsand rather than aragonite... easier maybe?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomasjedlicka

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak