• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Substrate or not?

Bullfrog

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Hello, I have hatched out 10 Sepia officinalis or elgans two months ago. They are currently 2" mantle length and are about to move into a 100 gallon tank. The question I have is whether or not to provide a substrate on the bottom of the tank and if it is recommended that I do, what form of substrate is best. I have coarse and fine coral sand which I think may be too rough but I can get small rounded gravel or sand. My main concern is damage to the animals and also a crumpled rear end which seems to be apparent in some public displays. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

I can't recommend bottom substrate (hopefully Cuttlegirl and or others who have kept the larger animals will give a suggestion) but will mention that the butt burn is typically from jetting into the walls and not a bottom substrate issue. Rounded tanks seem to help and rounding corners with a material with give has been successfully used to minimize the problem.

DWhatley;n339938 said:
I can't recommend bottom substrate (hopefully Cuttlegirl and or others who have kept the larger animals will give a suggestion) but will mention that the butt burn is typically from jetting into the walls and not a bottom substrate issue. Rounded tanks seem to help and rounding corners with a material with give has been successfully used to minimize the problem.
Thanks for the reply, I thought the butt burn was due to jetting into the glass. I find a small light and plenty of space can work, it certainly improved the squid that were on display in a public aquarium in Ireland. Thanks again

Now I know what species :smile:... I don't think substrate matters, although it might make the cuttles feel more secure to be able to bury in substrate. Rounded sides will help as the cuttles get bigger. Ugh... see reason... also, the eyes of S. officinalis have a pronounced "w" shape and S. elegans is more wavy.

cuttlegirl said:
Ohhhh, so cute, I'm in love! :tentacle: Any blue on the transparent part of the fins? In Sepia elegans, the anterior part of the cuttlebone kind of makes a "v" in between their eyes
Hi cuttlegirl, sorry for the delay, I don't see any blue tinge along the fins but there is a blue green colour at the base where the fins meet the body.

Some substrate would be nice since that would prevent them seeing reflections that might make them think the animal density in the tank is higher than it actually is. That might stress them out a little, until they figure it out.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back