• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Substitute for a bimac

UNMC2010

Blue Ring
Registered
I am looking to get another octo and was hoping to find a bimac but have had no luck. I was wondering what everyone's second choice would be. I don't have a large enough tank for a vulgaris (90 gal). I am looking for a species that will be as diurnal as possible. I don't really want a dwarf species from what I have heard.

I have found the O. briareus, but I don't know much about them. I have heard they can act somewhat diurnal.

Temperature is not an issue as I have access to a chiller if needed.

I appreciate everyone's opinions, you guys are much more knowledgeable than myself!!

Thanks,
Garrett

briareus and A. aculeatus are probably your best bet. If you could find an o. hummelincki (sp?) also called a two-spot octopus that would be perfect, but they are not easy to come by.

What is the best site to use as a species info resource? I have looked at the forum and the articles but I haven't found anything that lists out species and their descriptions. I may have missed the boat here but I'd love any further resources!

Also, if anyone knows where to find some of these species that would be a great help. I have found the briareus at Toms Caribbean.

Thanks again for the help.

I don't think there really is a list of commonly kept octos and their general husbandry or behavioral differences.

Cephbase.org is great for a lot of information and some identifying features of different species but it's pretty broad, not summarized for the hobbyist or the sort of use you're looking for. You might try www.edge-of-reef.com or www.marinebio.org

Thanks for the info, I feel like I don't know enough about each species to make a decision. Unfortunately, the availability will probably make my decision for me!

From what I have been able to find, both vulgaris and briarius are called nocturnal but actulally do their natural hunting early in the morning and early in the evening. The two vulgaris at Mote were awake during the day while we were there (and were not being fed) and TONMO members have reported that both species seem to adapt to their human food slave feeding times.

Thanks for the info. I am leaning toward the briareus species because I really don't want to turn my largest tank (180) into an octo tank, atleast not yet. Eventually I would love to have a vulgaris but I just don't have the room for another large tank.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back