Stupid question?

oscar

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
spray paint idea i like - will a bubble coral still extend tentacles and a brittle star still come out with red light on?

Sorted that one!!

If you go to an army surplus store you can get 90 degreee flashlights that come with different filaments including red. They cost about 8 pounds here but it'll solve your problem.

RiotAct

Hatchling
Registered
I think cold cathode tubes would work very well in this situation as well and they are readily availible at just about every pc shop. I use blue ones in my case mod. I'm not a red or green fan. It would be very easy to seal these for under water use as well as top mount. Any PC shop would have a used 200watt PSU lying around for free I'm sure. I do, if you need one. but this would give you the 12volt rail you need to run the cathode tube. This type of light will put off a flood style of lighting rather than a direct light of the LEDs. PM me if you want to explore this option further. I dig deep into PC's

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
I've read back through this thread and thought it might be a good idea to point out the reason we're talking about the color red for lamps or LEDs - octos cannot perceive red, so you watch a nocturnal octo without scaring it.

Nancy