• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Strangled by macroalgae?

Pouchedrat

Hatchling
Registered
New member, long time lurker..

Background: I hatched a dwarf cuttlefish egg 3 weeks ago. It was doing fine, actively eating mysid shrimp and amphipods, kept in a hang-on breeder tank connected onto my 18+month old saltwater tank. I had a small ball of macro algae in there with the cuttlefish for the amphipods. Just an hour ago I was taking new photos and video of my baby.... Then I turned the lights out and saw it's head part separated from the body, the macro algae wrapped around tightly.....

I NEVER thought of or heard of this happening. Is this a thing I was uninformed of? I had more mysid shrimp arriving next week but this was my only cuttlefish baby.... All I have is a 40 gallon tank with zoanthids and a bubbletip. I guess they can eat them.....

I just wanted to know if this is a thing I need to know about before trying to order more eggs to attempt again. I definitely will remove the algae.

Very strange observation. Are you sure the cuttlefish was actually alive when you were taking pictures and not just moving because of the water flow?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back